Payment option for Category?

Payment option for Category?

by VI Webmaster -
Number of replies: 3
I searched all over and could not find a solution to my problem.

We are selling training videos on our moodle site, and we would like to offer a payment option that is similar to how iTunes sells music.

We have a course (the equivalent of an "Album") that we would like to make available for say $50.

But we would also like to allow users to purchase an individual lesson (equivalent of a song)

I know how to use meta courses but when I created all of my meta courses a user could not purchase each individual one, it said that the course was not available to the public. (If there is a way around this then that is all I need)

So basically is there any way to charge for a category, and be enrolled in all of the courses inside of it automatically, while at the same time be able to buy an individual course without buying the category?

The only thing I can come up with is create individual courses with each track, and then create a separate course with all the tracks inside of it and charge more. However if a user purchases two or three individual tracks then decides to purchase the course with all of the tracks they will have duplicate courses on their course page, which is very messy.

Any help would be much appreciated, hope this made sense.

Thanks,

Kyle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to VI Webmaster

Re: Payment option for Category?

by Doug Osborne -

Hi, this is exactly what I'm looking to do – selling individual lessons in addition to selling an entire course.  Has anyone found a better solution for this?  

I'm currently investigating a solution that would involve custom group enrollment, but I've not worked at all with groups yet.  At this point, as far as I can tell, even that solution includes making a new course for each chapter.  It makes it very messy when trying to navigate course options, not to mention in the backstage when trying to customize html code.  Does anyone have a cleaner way of doing this?

In reply to VI Webmaster

Re: Payment option for Category?

by Doug Osborne -

Just to update, I did find that if you click into a lesson, in the top right there will be a button labeled "Update this Lesson".  In here you can set a password for the lesson, so that only people with this password can access that lesson.  

Not sure yet if this is a viable solution for our company, but it may work out fine.  I will duplicate the course as an "individual lesson sale" course with a different enrollment key, and a set a unique password for each lesson.  When someone buys an individual lesson, they will be given an enrollment key for the "individual lesson sale" version of the course, and a password to only the lesson(s) they purchased.  If they choose to buy the entire course, then they will be given the enrollment key for the original, un-password-protected course.  

Alternatively, you could keep only one course, with all lessons password protected, and just give all the passwords to people who buy the entire course... but that kind of makes it a pain in the ass for your biggest customers.