What is the structure of a Moodle site?

What is the structure of a Moodle site?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 36
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This post comes out of our thinking about how navigation should work in Moodle 2.0, part of Development:Navigation_2.0. I don't yet know the answer to the 'how Navigation should work', but I think I have worked out what it is we are navigating around.

I think it is quite easy to see everything in a Moodle as belonging to one big tree. The diagram below attempts to illustrate this. However, it really is a BIG tree (the diagram is very incomplete!) so to make sense of it, I think it is helpful to split the navigation in to four different types. That is what the colour coding attempts to show.

Near the root of is the tree is the organisation of the site into categories and courses and courses. This structure is most apparent on the site front page (perhaps more clearly when you are not logged in!) Also, there are some blocks that display it.

When you get into a course, the main structure there is the sequence of activities, arranged into sections. This structure is most apparent on the course page. Otherwise, you have the jump to menu, or there are blocks that display this.

Almost everywhere you go in that main site structure, there are some other pages hanging off the main tree.
  • Within every activity, there are different pages to navigate around. Sometimes that is made explicit with tabs (e.g. Glossary, databse). In other places, different pages within the activity are just linked together (e.g. Forum).
  • At the course level, think of the links that appear in the course administration block, although once you go to any of those places, you lose the navigation block, and some of those places have sub-navigation in their own right. E.g. the gradebook has its menu, the question bank has its own tabs, ...
  • At the category level, there are a few related pages like roles, but the sub-navigation here is particularly bad.
  • At the system level, the sub-navigation is the admin tree. Yes another interface, although one that is well suited to its task.
  • There are lots of tabs under user profile. And the My Moodle page should probably be put here in the navigation scheme, although it currently isn't.
Note that some parts of the local navigation are the same in lots of places. For example, the roles pages, files (more-so in Moodle 2.0), and to a lesser extent the question bank pages and lots of places have a 'settings' page. And other parts are purely local, depending on the type of thing, like the pages within quiz, or completely specific to the activity in question, e.g. wiki or book.

Finally, both at the site level, and in courses, there are lists of participants, which let you get to user's profiles. This is the one place the tree structure breaks down a bit. I have always found that a little confusing, although it is not too bad. We might be able to improve that a bit. And, of course, there are links to a user's profile from lots of places.

Of course, depending on who you are logged in as, and hence what permissions you have, you will only see parts of the tree.

Note that the blue, red and green bits of the tree are basically the tree of contexts, that the roles system is built on.

Also, at the moment the place where the Moodle navigation scheme is clearest is in the navbar. That normally does a very good, and very consistent job of telling you where you are now. (Except that normally we don't show the course categories there.) What is less consistent is the way that Moodle shows you what else there is nearby.
Attachment Navigation.png
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: What is the structure of a Moodle site?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
So, err, why did I write all that?

Well, I want to know if people think that is the right way to look at things, or am I just confused?

More importantly, does anyone have any good ideas for what sort of navigation interface we should have in Moodle to make this clear to users when the just look at the site, without reading a couple of pages of explanation?

Of course whatever we do probably has to be configurable by themes, admins, etc.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Myles Carrick -
hi Tim,

Mate thanks for your great work on this. I agree that the admin nav of the system is ironically (given it's used by the fewest people) one of the areas of simplest navigation.

One of the key things with many (although it seems not all) Moodle sites is that the interfaces with the most meaning for regular students and faculty are:
  1. "My stuff": how can I view aggregations of my courses, my calendar events, messages etc? You're right here - the profile and My Moodle should be part of the same interface. After enrolment, the tree of courses and categories doesn't mean much in many institutions
  2. The structure of a course and its activities: can I see how this element that I'm in (say a particular page of a quiz) fits into this course?; can I understand how I'm progressing?
I suspect that the answer to the second of these - navigating courses and their activities - will be a combination of the breadcrumbs (now better due to that change that came in 1.9) and a series of guidelines that identify a set of standard ways to represent different types of navigation, depending on the essence of the learning activity - for example:
  • linear flows (page to page through a quiz, feedback or database etc)
  • hierarchical flows (lesson, book, etc)
  • stuff that has state changes - edit / preview / view
  • (I'm sure that there are more basic structures than this...)
Many activity modules and resource types currently implement navigation in their own way. We need flexibility, but with guidelines that help module developers understand how users should expect interactions of certain types to work.

The trick with all of these, however is all of the "extra" stuff that comes with having editing rights - usually currently implemented with tabs, and often with terrible effects... and I've no idea how this might be standardised across the myriad different forms of UI that the different activity modules have.

If we can get the UI right from these two levels (the personal 'dashboard' and the course » activity structure) then I think we'll be well on the path to a more useable Moodle.

Cheers mate - keep up the great work!
In reply to Myles Carrick

by Ray Lawrence -
Navbar or breadcrumbs?

Are you planning to change the behaviour of this navigation aid?

My understanding is the following:

Navigation bar: Displays where you are.
Breadcrumb: Displays where you are and the path taken to arrive there.

This is an important distinction that confuses users if they expect breadcrumbs-like behaviour.

If the navigation bar approach is to be maintained I suggest that care is taken in the docs, discussions and resulting interfaces so that the existing misunderstandings are not perpetuated.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Tim Hunt -
It is definitely a navigation bar, to show you where you are now in Moodle.

If you want to know where you have been, user your browser's history.

You are right. We should not refer to it as breadcrumbs.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Aside: apart from browser history I've never seen any web site actually even attempt to implement true breadcrumbs. I used to care a lot more about this terminology and insist on navbar but does anyone really get confused by the misuse of the term any more? I don't know, but I suspect not.

We could call them "Location Breadcrumbs" with a bit of "Attribute Breadcrumbs" when it comes to the Activity type. (see Wikipedia article on breadcrumbs)

(I've given up explaining the hacker/cracker distinction too :P )
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ray Lawrence -
It's critical that this is named correctly.

If referred to as "breadcrumbs" that is the behaviour that users expect (irrespective of whether this has been implemented successfully anywhere else).

I encounter this issue frequently.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Nicolas Connault -
How could users expect something that isn't implemented correctly anywhere??
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Nicolas > How could users expect something that isn't implemented correctly anywhere?

Maybe in the same way that most humans expect justice, liberty, equality etc. which can't be said to be "implemented correctly" everywhere on this Earth.wink

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Olli Savolainen -
I wonder about this, too.

I have never, as an user interface designer, seen "where have you been" defined as the sole or even primary meaning for breadcrumbs. Rather, it is the marginal meaning, and the way Moodle does breadcrumbs is what is generally understood as breadcrumbs very generally.

Just to give an idea, though it is not definitive, see what wikipedia says about this:

There are three types of web breadcrumbs:

• Path: path breadcrumbs are dynamic and show the path that the user has taken to arrive at a page.
  • Location: location breadcrumbs are static and show where the page is located in the website hierarchy.
  • Attribute attribute breadcrumbs give information that categorizes the current page.
YDN Design Pattern Library seems to mean the Location type although it mentions that the metaphor is misleading.
In reply to Olli Savolainen

by Red Morris -
Hmmm, an interesting discussion.

While my preference would be for a Location style navbar as referenced by Olli, I can see there would be issues with it. For example, it's easy enough that a course shows its category, which shows its parent category, which shows the home link. Add a user onto the end of that, and you are going to confuse your average user between the trail for a user in the course and a straight off the home pages. Technically it is surmountable with parameters, but is there a point when it will confuse.

So is the solution to summarise into a handful of "base" objects? Category, User, etc. So when a user is clicked on in the course above, your trail only goes back as far as User or All Users? I think that's a pretty common way of working in a lot of web-sites, so wouldn't confuse. Presumably there would be a link in that profile back to the course you were in anyway, and the good old fall back of the Back button
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Patrick Malley -
I believe DokuWiki uses a strict breadcrumb that shows the precise path traveled to get to your current location.

Confusing, if you ask me. And, why duplicate something that the browser already does quite well?

Navbar it is.
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Ray Lawrence -

Yes, it does. It's just clicked with me. It always seemed very random before I realised that.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well, I don't think a breadcrumb which "seems very random" (in Ray's words) conveys a high usability profile.
Joseph
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anon User -

I just thought I'd jump in with my contribution, don't know if it exactly relates to other peoples experiences of Moodle navigation but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have been asked to set up a version of Moodle to improve the layout and user experience and one of the major problems we had with the previous version was navigation.

These are the sort of areas we had trouble with:

1) Meta and child courses

We found that the relationship between these was not very clear in the standard navigation. However users wanted to have this sort of hierarchical relationship between courses, and even be able to navigate to Meta course resources within child courses as standard.

2) Where am I and how do I get back

There was a significant element of being within screens for setting things up or interacting with activities and users not being clear how they should navigate back to where they had come from. Also they were unclear as to exactly where they were and how it related to courses.

3) Within the participants and user section there was a lot of navigation jumping and limited clarity as to where you are, for example there was a complaint about adding a blog entry within someone elses user blog space and suddenly being jumped to your own space with no obvious way back. (Probably a user issue but one that could probably be helped or avoided)

4) Onward navigation very block dependent.

In certain courses the block space is a prized commodity, so the ability to move back to the category, or even on to a sub category through a standard navigation method would be a distinct advantage rather than relying on blocks.

5) Restricted navigation based on groups

This is something wanted but, as far as I am aware, tricky to set up. There is more than just wanting to hide certain courses and course structure from one category of user (i.e. students) and also within students we want to target people into sub areas without having to implement multiple implementations of Moodle.

If you could answer me simply how the proposed new setup will address this it would be a help.

Thanks

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Thinking about this a bit more, I wonder if we can usefully split the purple 'local navigation' parts into two.
  1. behind-the-scenes settings adminstration pages
  2. genuine local navigation.
1. includes things like 'Update this forum', all the roles UI, files UI, the question bank, everything in the course administration block, and everything in the site administration block.

There is quite a lot of similarity between a lot of those links in different places, so I am wondering if we could have a 'Settings' block that showed a context-specific list of settings links on every page. That would supersede the Site admin and course admin blocks, as well as being added to all activities and category pages. It would use the same kind of collapsible tree JavaScript as the admin tree, and it would appear on the settings pages too, so you can navigate between them, as well as on the main page you start from. (So, for example, it would solve the problem of navigating around the gradebook.)

Local navigation would then be really simple in a lot of cases. I don't think you would need anything other than the in-page links on category screens, or in the quiz or forum modules. You would still have it in modules like glossary, database, book, ... For now we could leave this as tabs, but we might want to consider moving it into a block instead at some point.

Then I am thinking of two other blocks to improve navigation:

A block that lets you navigate around the 'blue' part of the tree. That is all the categories and courses. Perhaps with an option of whether to show all courses, or just 'my courses'.

A block for navigating the red part of the tree, the course sections and activities.

(I know there are blocks that do some of this in contrib)

To understand the value of these new blocks, you probably need to have read my proposal for a much more flexible sticky-blocks system. It should be easy to start showing them by default in the relevant places.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Tim, glad to know that moodle core team is now seriously paying attention to the "usability" issues. I love the "much more flexible sticky-blocks system," but am a little bit confused what's the difference with this one and the current block AJAX drag-n-drop implementation. If you could include some design mockup (screenshots, etc.) for the proposed system, I think that would helps a lot. Just my 2 cents. smile

By the way, I'm teaching again at SFSU this semester. Now that I'm playing with two roles (developer and university instructor) at the same time, I could start to see more clearly why a lot of instructors have a lot of "issues" with iLearn (our customized version of Moodle). Here is one example: MDL-18237.

I think the key really is that maybe the core developers could sit down with some wide range of different moodle users, and observe how they use moodle (especially some newly added features, such as gradebook, etc.), and then figure out how to improve some of these navigation/usability issues. For large installation like ours, we had to hide a lot of features simply because we know that a lof of added features (such as allowing teachers to overwrite roles/permissions tab) would create more problems then benefits. Imagining that you only have 2-3 people in support team to support 72,934 users, any "small" problem can be bombarded with a lot of phone calls/emails!)..

Priority-wise, I think we should pay attention to INSTRUCTORS and STUDENTS first. After all, I think moodle is a "Course" Management System, and is course-centered. For the system administrator user interface (especially the "Site Administration" block), I agree that there there are some usability issues (search "ajax" and you will see what I mean - "Enable AJAX rating" and "Disable AJAX course editing".. oh boy), but I'm glad that we have that "search" feature that we could always "search" for it. So this would probably has lower priority.

Again just my $0.02.
Wen
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Tim Hunt -
My blocks proposal is currently focussed on how it works behind the scenes, with the assumption that if the system works logically, we can put a usable UI in front of it. Doing UI mockups takes time, so I probably won't do any until after we are agreed on the functionality. My proposal has nothing to do with AJAX, or not.

There are no readily accessible Moodle users near our Perth offices. That is a problem, but not one with an easy solution. And I think I priority is on Instructors and Students.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Tim,

great that you're looking at improving this - I still get confused in some places. I agree with your analysis of the tree structure, but one thing that you haven't considered is navigation by next action, rather than by hierarchically connected pages. In a number of places there are logical next steps for teachers and students who are doing certain things, which would benefit from direct links e.g. viewing assignment grades, then viewing the course gradebook; viewing the gradebook for course A, then viewing the one for course B for comparison; adding a new user, then jumping to a course to enrol them. These are not currently dealt with in a consistent way (or at all), so I think an analysis of common 'what would you like to do now' workflows and a consistent navigation structure for them would add immense value.

I've also been quite inspired by the new dropdown menus on moodle.org sites, and I think it would be good to investigate a way of generating these dynamically depending on context (Drupal does this already with its menus). YUI treeview can eat a standard <ul> list and make it dynamic, similarly to the way moodle.org's hardcoded one does now, so it would be ideal. It can also AJAX in content which would save enormously on load times e.g. the course participants list could be made available as a part of the dropdown (with a scrollbar of course!).

Lastly, I agree about the course particpants naviagtion - what is the point of having a separate user profile for each course? At best it's confusing - could the appearance be changed somehow so that people know that there are many contexts? Maybe one user profile page, but with tabs for courses, which only show up if the user has the right permissions for that course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Tim Hunt -
You are right about workflows, but I think I have to declare them beyond the scope of what I can currently think about.

Though specific, and easy to implement suggestions for improving particular situations are welcome in the tracker. (User-centric, rather than context-centric, role assign is MDL-10002.)

Dropdown menus can be implemented entirely within the theme. Of course, to be really effective, this would need themes to be able to have admin settings pages, and database tables. Those are things that can be done, and I would like to do them. (Of course, then can aslo be implemented in core, if people prefer.) But again, that is a relatively self-contained task. (Hmm, might be a potential GSoC project?) I think it is more important for me to concentrate on the bits that involve getting into the guts of Moodle, and ripping them apart, those are the bits it is most important to get right in Moodle 2.0. Then we we have the foundations to continue to improve things through 2.1, 2.2, ....

The separate course-focussed profile is acutally necessary from a privacy point of view. And also usability. For example, when you click on my name in this course, you get to see my forum posts from this course. That is a good thing. And you quite possibly cannot see the profiles of people who are not in this course (unless you are also an admin, or something). (Of course, Moodle.org may have more relaxed policies than most sites.) So, I think the feature is necessary, it just needs to be made clear. Once we have a full tree in a navigation block, rather than tabs, that probably becomes possible.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
The current situation is fine for the most part but does start to get grim on large sites with loads of categories and courses. Here's a few half-baked thoughts that probably won't help..

* People use categories in different ways. They might just be for organisation or they might relate to a list of departments. We hacked the top level category into the Breadcrumb because it was a department and mattered. It would be cool to have some proper control over that ("include this category in breadcrumb")
* The notion of a frozen/archived course has always been a problem. It's a question that we get asked a lot - "does the student have access to their old courses". It's not too bad to organise this using categories but the student ends up with a big old mess in their course listings and they hate that. Course listings need to be better and it would be great to be able to add some metadata to courses so that they can be organised better (e.g. what academic year is this course, is this course an archive course)
* Can we have a really great search? Search courses is currently rather sadly hidden away somewhere. It's fine to have courses in a big bucket if there's a good search.
* Favourites. Like admin favourites. If any user can just bookmark the bits of Moodle that they use and have a list - a better "my moodle" if you will.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ray Lawrence -
* Favourites. Like admin favourites. If any user can just bookmark the bits of Moodle that they use and have a list - a better "my moodle" if you will.

+1 for Bookmarks/Favourites
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mark Drechsler -

+1 here too for the Favourites - could be a very cool navigational option for users.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by ryan sanders -
sorry, was only go write up a couple sentences, and ended up brainstorming a few to many paragraphs.

====================

been looking for a good customer map game editor. something like. warcraft 3 uses. but for management systems.

i also have been looking at enterprise management systems.

tree structures i like a lot.

but it is how the info is placed to the tree. that seems lacking. moodle so far i have seen best so far with handling direct page editing. by clicking (turn on editing) but once you get to that, then things start to fall into. what is currently there to work with. as in everything is pre structured.

recently been going through drupal. tons of addon's *gggrrr* they have something. going on. but how they are handling it is extermly time consumming and confusing. they do have triggers / actions / events / etc... much like a customer map builder editor for a game, but interface and then code itself is just not there by the time you toss in umptine addon's to get it there. plus high server resources once you get something going.

to me, management systems should be treated like a custom map builder for some game. but being able to create the custom map in real time. then allow the back end do the crunching, to the code to allow for much faster page loads, IE removing comment lines, white space etc... remove javascript out of the source code the broswer sees, to moving javascript out of the source code to files for better caching over multi pages.

when editing is on, it should be more ajax like doings. were i can have blocks on left/right, to allow me to select,add,change,delete things. while the main center, being my map window. or rather, a tabbed view, of different things.

if say for instance, i want student to press a button, to activate a drop down button. then i should be able to goto left block, click down through a tree of objects to select a "submit button", then click over to the tabs for "triggers" create a new trigger, that checks against on click. then i should be able to choose a if/then else statment. to check against textfields, input types, etc...

i am thinking, why not just use dreamweaver or some other program just to make a full blow website. na.

take a look at warcraft 3 custom map editor. they have tons of predefined units/spells/weapons/etc... or rather for moodle. it would be tons of pre defined question types. uploading of files. instead of map styles or skins for units it would predefined master theme for site, then skins for units would be little templetes for blocks, and subpages.

===============
when you turn editing off. it would be like playing some custom map or any game, you go around chat,read, and meet certain goals, to advance. but unlike a game were it would be up to some customer map builder to create a custom map, it would be up to the teacher/course creator. to create the custom course. and instead of weapons/spells it would be text,audio,video.

if i click on some unit in a game, i should be able to see some sort of states and info. much like going to some userpage or mypage of site. to find info.

in a game, you have different levels or areas you can go or can not go. much like a website. and be able to advance through the area. for me clicking through any website. is like going through a game. but if i can't not make a new area real time by clicking (turn on editing) and make something completely different and not predefined, i am stuck and have reached limits of what was programed into the game or in this case into moodle.

================
open source is awsome because it allows programmer folks to go in and find what they need through searching through the code and learning it to create a new plugin / mod etc...

but there is no interface there for non programming folks.
at moment it is, game company is required to create and add a special custom character to the game, or rather a site admin is required to create a special question type or block and add it to moodle. vs letting the custom map builders or rather teachers creating the custom question type or block or event or map to the site.

a non programmer folk doesn't need to know about which database, what comes from. and how tables are joined together, or why checking for this type of broswer and doing something this way works.

on other hand, they need pre defined almost drag and drop abilty. of pre setup things. and for the more advance, need abilty to customize things and be able to copy/cut/paste/import/export things.

=============================

onto navigation....

in a game you are in some given area were you can walk around. and have paths and places were you can and can not walk.

normally most areas have multi paths leading in and out of the area.
then you also have teloporting abilties or like doings.

for a website. an area would be a course. i should be able to go from one course to another course and have have restrictions (triggers/events/actions/goals) that need to be done and taken. but after i get through a few courses. i should be able to go back to first course and take another branch or path. problem in lies when the path doubles back on itself i already taken previously. and in that thinking of a "tree like structure"

now if you were talking a flow chart like setup. were you can have multi arrows and lines point from different things and back to the same thing. that is a different story. due to Looping could happen.

for bread crumbs and tree structures. when applying like a flow chart like structure. you normally end up, all of a sudden jumping to another branch of a tree when you hit a loop, and as a result, bread crumbs themselves change. to many times, what ever the database first finds. but some times recursive tracking can help maintain bread crumbs and major jumping of branchs within the tree to some extent. but it normally moves you to a completely different area regardless. vs say in a game and just looking around the corner.

there are some branching abilities within moodle already. but it can get rather complicated quickly. phpmyadmin -> goto a database -> *i forget* "producdures" i want say it might be "operations". and you have flow like chart abilty to link/join databases together through a flow like chart abilty.

instances i have seen trying to get around tree like structure. is any given ecommerce website, that has cross sell. or related items. or related catagory section at bottom of the page. were it provides multi bread crumb style links. sadly these all point the way to "run home to mommy" i mean main site page. i rarely ever do i see anything that shows which way i can go. and what i have and have not explored and path i followed to gether.

in a game, you normally have some sort of overview mini map. were it shows explorered and un exporered sections of the map. and in some games you also get a tracking line. of the path that you have walked to get to a certain point. if you just fought a bunch of monsters, you can also normally walk back through and see dead bodies or tresure/item you didn't pickup.

=================
down to the niddy griddy

if there are bread crumbs. i should be able, to go up if i have "javascript" enabled. to move my mouse over the (right most) bread crumb. and get dynamic drop down menu. that builds a tree style menu. showing paths i did or did not take. and then sub branches. that would allow me to go to that area and goto a specific thing.

if i go up to the header area i should be able to click a "flow chart button" that creates an advance dynamic tree flow chart menu.

each area of the this menu. should be an a new area or page. if i was in middle of a course assignt 10 question 30

then it should show a path of 30 being explored, but a red ? denoted i haven't finished, and then 29 questions straight path to 30. ((question 12 had a extra optional question)) and it has a branch off of question 12)), ((it leads me to quiz)) eventally,

other words the flow chart becomes a game map, or rather an advance tree stucture menu. and each spot i can click on. becomes an object page, and when (turn on editing) is enabled. i can set properties / triggers/events/actions/etc... and when (turn on editing) is disabled. i can see visual clues, just like a game map of showing items not picked up or other people in area. or rather quizes not finished, reading material not read, chatter box, showing green meaning new message is there. etc...

the old (i clicked on this link) and the link differs a different color just doesn't cut it.

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -
my mind kept on thinking on this... so figure i make a couple diagrams.

diagram of a flow chart menu (editing is on)

Attachment moodle_nag1.GIF
In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -
kinda of a live demenistration of last reply to get a feel and touch sense.

if ya go to a "PHPMYADMIN" (wamp/xamp) some hosting providers also give it as an option to messing with your database info

select a database
in the tabs across the top you should see (designer)

design, is like a flow chart, but specifically made for linking/joining database tables and there doings.

microsoft access i know has something like this (but its been a few years scince i have touched microsoft access)

P.S. i am not showing any actual linked / joined databses in below picture. it is more of a quick print screen to let those know there in right place.
Attachment moodle_nag2.GIF
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Having done a bit more thinking, I have been wondering whether the purple links can be consistently divided into three categories everywhere:

Configuration links
That is, admin tree, most of course admin, module settings and edit pages, roles pages, ...

My settings links
Much less common, but useful to distinguish when they are there. That has come out of recent gradebook UI discussions. Forum subscribe/unsubscribe would be in this cateogry. Also, edit (my) profile, and unenrol from this course.

Local navigation
Like how you move round a forum, from the list of threads, to individual discussions, to making or replying to a post. Or the flow from quiz view to quiz attempt to quiz review. While the previous two categories definitely should be shown as navigation menus in the UI (Like the admin block or course admin block), most of the time, I think local navigation is so simple that we don't need a navigation menu for it. Glossary and Database are the two possible exceptions I can think of where you might want a menu to replace the tabs. Within a quiz attempt there is already custom navigation. Ditto SCORM. Lesson might want to introduce something similar. Hmm.

Well, I have to go to an orchestra rehearsal now, so I will leave these thoughts half formed.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -

I have finally gotten around to making a mockup of what I would really like the Topics middle column on the front page of my Moodle courses to look like.

When you have lots of topics with lots of items (labels, resources and activities) in them, the Topics middle column of a moodle course can look very cluttered indeed. At the start of the year I hide all of the topics except Topic #1, and I un-hide them gradually. But, at the end of the year, the screen gets cluttered.

At the moment the only solution provided by the moodle interface is to use the switch icon: Show only Topic n/Show all topics. This solution is unsatisfactory and can lead to misunderstanding, as has been demonstrated in a number of past posts.

What I really want (and I expect many other moodle users want it too) is illustrated by the attached mock-up screenshot. This is how it would work (theorically).

Topics themselves would be switched on/off with the switchplus/switchminus icon (or, if preferred, the folder open/closed icon might be used).

Inside topics, nothing would change for any label, resource or activity inserted "normally". If a label is followed by a link to an activity or resource and that activity or resource is moved to the right, then it is understood that that particular activity or resource is to be transferred to a sub-level of that label. See my example: the 3 resources/activities "European countries I've visited file, Travelling abroad questionnaire (v2) and Travelling and living abroad discussion forum" are at a sub-level of label "Travelling and living abroad". Clicking on the "Travelling and living abroad" switch icon will "open" or "close" its contents.

I'm sorry if my explanations are not clear and I do appreciate that although what I want is theorically possible it might well mean a huge overhaul of the moodle inner workings and thus might not be feasible. I do hold the view, however, that it would make for a sleek, much more user-friendly interface.

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
That would already be quite easy with a custom course format.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi Joseph

I agree, and have these approaches.
  1. I collapse all the topics and hard-code a menu into header.php in my own site (sandbox area at www.sw4y.co.uk). This simply links to the course itself, with &topic=x at the relevant place. Each course has its own theme (I am only running a few so this is easy) and thus each has its own menu. To prevent visitors from using the show only topc x or show all buttons, I simply changed pix/i/all.gif and one.gif to be totally transparent. This is great since administrators can still use the links because they know where they are!
  2. on the university site where I also lecture I have fewer access rights! Thus I use the topic description box at the top to the same effect with the 'menu' in a table. 1) and 2) need some html expertise, but not much. See picture attached.
  3. collapsing within topics I have not solved. Have dabbled a bit with accordian but am finding it limiting. I have the luxury of a commercial site that will offer a limited number of courses which change only in content and not overall structure, and without having to ask teachers or non-technical people setting them up. I want the effect of mootools ( http://demos.mootools.net/Accordion) and will probably create the resources elsewhere and once again, hard-code their links into an html block. If we find an elegant way to do this we'll post it for demo and (with someone's help in standardising) make available to everyone.
Good luck, we will keep tracking this one in both directions

Ed
Attachment Screenshot.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
having links from a real course under some category to an alias
of a course on some other category on the tree could be very useful
to us. can it be done ?
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Tim Hunt -
There is definitely a real requirement here, becuase I have seen this asked for a number of times.

There is no way to change the fundamental structure of Moodle where each course belongs to one category, and each category has one parent. That is, to put it more technically, the the contexts in Moodle must form a tree, not a directed acyclic graph.

However, that does not prevent us from allowing more flexibility in how courses are categories are presented to users for browsing. Indeed, Moodle 2.0 should enable more flexibility there.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank Ralf -
Drupal solves this problem by using its taxonomy system (http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/taxonomy) so content can show up in changing contexts. This might also be a way to go for Moodle.

Just my 2 €ct.

Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Tim Hunt -
Well, the picture I have is that in Moodle 2.0 (where we have more flexibility with blocks) the middle of the site index.php, course/index.php and course/category.php will just comprise different blocks. And, of course to start with we will make blocks that display lists of courses exactly as they are currently displayed, but in future, people can make new blocks to display things in other ways.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
directed acyclic graph

Wow. I've never heard of that before, but now I know I want one. smile