Migration Webct CE 6.1.1 to Moodle 1.9

Migration Webct CE 6.1.1 to Moodle 1.9

by Gareth Miskelly -
Number of replies: 4
Has anyone got a basic guide to how to move course contents from webct to moodle?
Lots of conflicting information online
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth Miskelly

Re: Migration Webct CE 6.1.1 to Moodle 1.9

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There is a Moodle tool that allows importing of Webct courses, using the "IMS Content Migration Utility" inside Webct - unfortunately I don't think this is included in CE 6.1 anymore, but you might be able to find out?

If you can use the IMS tool, then there is a 3rd party Moodle patch that takes the IMS package and imports it into Moodle - see here for more details:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/WebCT_migration

Most Moodle Partners have had experience migrating Blackboard/WebCT users - so if you need further help, contacting your local Moodle Partner would be a good idea!
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Theresa Sommer -

Dan:

The "IMS Content Migration Utilty" was only available in WebCT CE 4 which was based on a flat file system. It's not available to anyone using a newer version of WebCT/Blackboard CE 6 or 8 which is now a database backend.

Doing a course backup in CE 6/8 creates a .bak file which is encrypted and I'm sure not able to import into Moodle.

I've searched and searched and don't find anyone that's made this transition from CE 6 or 8 to Moodle only from 4.x to Moodle. Any suggestions for those of us that would like to try out Moodle but are using a newer version of WebCT/Blackboard CE?

Theresa

In reply to Theresa Sommer

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Theresa,

at the moment, the easiest way to transition from WebCT 6/8 by yourself is to export the quiz questions in IMS format from your course (which you can do) then export all the files as a zip and import these into Moodle. then manually create all the links to the various files in Moodle based on the files you have uploaded.

Your teachers/someone will need to touch each course and tidy it up, but this would likely need to happen anyway even if there was a nicer course import tool for WebCT 6/8

Migrating from one LMS to another is never a simple process, but doing it manually gives your teachers a chance to tidy up the cruft and improve their course - some institutions enlist the help of their postgrads to do some work converting courses from existing LMS to Moodle - they're already on campus, and are normally happy to make a few extra $$ between lectures!

As WebCT 6/8 are based on a standard database backend, there are also ways of exporting parts of a course from the db, in fact, it's really easy to get course names/users/enrolments and grades directly out using the DB Views "RPT_PERSON", "RPT_MEMBER", "RPT_LEARNING_CONTEXT" and "RPT_GRADEBOOK"

It would be nice if someone funded some work towards creating an open-source tool which pulled data directly from the WebCT db and imported it into Moodle! - let me know if you're interested! smile
In reply to Gareth Miskelly

by Simon Hill -

Has anyone successfully imported a webCT (CE 6) Learning module into either moodle as an IMS package, or the repository as a shared resource...

All I get is the xml details coming up!!