Tortoise CVS to update existing Moodle

Tortoise CVS to update existing Moodle

by David O'Brien -
Number of replies: 10

Hello

I am trying to get set up to use CVS. I have downloaded and install Tortoise CVS onto our Windows2003/Apache, PHP/mySQL Moodle box.

I can now connect out to the uk.cvs.moodle.org server and download Moodle. My problem is that Moodle is already set up I just want to use CVS for updates.

I have a lot of mods to Moodle Themes, various css files and a few core files and do not want to overwrite these.

I have followed along with information I have found on the forums, and played around with Tortoise but maybe I am missing something as I am unsure of the correct procedure to use TortoiseCVS with an existing Moodle.

I am sure that a lot of people do exactly what I am trying to do.. maybe because it’s Friday afternoon I’m just not getting it!!

So any help as to what steps I should take would be very welcome.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David O'Brien

Re: Tortoise CVS to update existing Moodle

by Ian Robotham -
Hi David,

With the changes that you have made are these in any source control (CVS, SVN etc)?

If not then probably the simplest way I can think of is to use Tortoise CVS to checkout a new copy of moodle and then use WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/) to merge the changes between your current (live) copy and the new version of moodle. And then publish the new merged version.

This is a major pain though because you have to go through every file you've changed and check the changes (diff). To make things easier in the future (so you can just do a CVS Update) you may want to move the theme changes you've made into a totally new theme and depending on the changes to the core files they may work well as a block/activity/filter.

In reply to Ian Robotham

by David O'Brien -
Hi Ian
Thank you for your reply, yes I can see that it is quite a lengthy process!

I am not quite sure what you mean by:

"With the changes that you have made are these in any source control (CVS, SVN etc)?"

The only changes made are to local copies of Moodle.

Regards

by Ian Robotham -
What I was meant was are the changes that you've made in your own version control system. I'm part of a team of developers customising moodle with our own activities & plugins - we use Subversion (svn) to control all our changes - this lets us easily track the changes each of us makes, resolve conflicts if two people overwrite the same file and quickly role back to a previous version if our change breaks the test server! It also lets us take a CVS export from the moodle servers, check it into our version control and then merge the changes in the files that we've edited (we have got custom changes in about 4 core moodle code files so it's not too bad to maintain)

As you state that your changes are local copies of moodle, this won't apply so you are stuck with using WinMerge (assuming you are on windows, mac/linux it'll be diff or some other program) to merge the files. If you can create new themes and modules for most of your changes that'll cut down on the amount of merging you have to do as you'll only be left with the core moodle files you've hacked.

Best Wishes,

Ian
In reply to Ian Robotham

by David O'Brien -
Thanks for the reply Ian. There is only really me that has access to the server, for working on Moodle anyway. I did do a lot of work yesterday using WinMerge after getting Moodle via CVS, but then once I went to view the site the installer for Moodle V2 was in the browser, not really what I was expecting!!

So it is off trawling the forums to see how I can CVS Moodle V1.9.4!!!

Regards

by Ian Robotham -
Assuming you're running the latest version of Tortoise:

1. CVS Checkout...
  2. Revision tab
  3. "Choose branch or tag"
  4. Select MOODLE_19_WEEKLY to get the latest weekly release of 1.9.4 (and 1.9.5 etc if/when it comes out).
  5. Click OK.
In version control 'HEAD' is the main development branch i.e. the one the developers are working on all in the time - in this case Moodle 2.0 development.

Best Wishes,
Ian

In reply to Ian Robotham

by David O'Brien -
Many thanks for the info Ian, it has definetely speeded everything up for me.
Regards
Dave
In reply to Ian Robotham

by David O'Brien -
Hi Again Ian
I wonder if you could give me a pointer?

When I go to the Revision tab and select MOODLE_19_WEEKLY using anonymous as the user I get:

In C:\: "C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -q checkout -r MOODLE_19_WEEKLY -P moodle/1.9.4
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs server: cannot find module `moodle/1.9.4' - ignored

Error, CVS operation failed

Should this let me in with the above settings?

Regards
Dave

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Change moodle/1.9.4 to just moodle and it should maybe work? (Assuming you mean to get the weekly 1.9 build.)

--sam

by Ian Robotham -
Hi Dave,

The problem is you are trying to checkout moodle/1.9.4 and not moodle/

Check the following:

1. CVSROOT is set to :pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
2. Repository folder is set to /cvsroot/moodle
3. Module is set to moodle.

See attached screenshot for full details.

That should let you checkout moodle 1.9.4

Regards,
Ian
Attachment cvs_checkout.jpg
In reply to Ian Robotham

by David O'Brien -
Hi Ian
Many thanks, I had the Repository folder wrong.. "Downloading like a good un' now" as they say!!

Cheerzzz

Dave