Email alerts stopped working

Re: Email alerts stopped working

by Rick Wilson -
Number of replies: 0
John,

I am new to this forum or for that matter new to trying to track down issues with our website. I have been searching this forum and this seems to be the best place to pose this problem, but if this is improper please let me know the best course of action.

We have been using version 1.6.3 for a while and have starting taking advantage of the News emails and want to expand to using the forum email capability. Up until the last month or so everything has worked fine. Since that time the email notifications of successful backs has not been happening each time the back up is run (though I do get them occasionally -- back ups are running successfully). Also, it appears that our hosting service is treating many of the emails that are being sent as "spam". Some go through and others do not. (I suspect they don't have all of their machines with the same filters, thus sometimes I get lucky and the email gets through).

I have spoken with the hosting service and they say that the "from" in the email is <>, thus their spam filters are blocking the email from being sent. Sometimes they see a rejection (such as from gmail). We use the default php mail setting.

We have not changed anything (though I know we need to upgrade badly). Is there anything we can do to get a valid email address in the "from" portion?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Wilson