Idea: Warm-ups and Make-up work.

Idea: Warm-ups and Make-up work.

by Ben Davis -
Number of replies: 21
Hi all, I had an idea for my hybrid 9-10th grade biology classes... I am trying it now, and sharing it because I think it should work.

In my classroom were two objects I loathed very much. One was a 'make-up book', that students who were absent needed to go to, and write down what was missed, and accomplish it to get caught up. [The book was on moodle this year, worked a little better...but took a lot to maintain]

The other was a 1 slide powerpoint file that served as a introduction screen to each class, it displays a warm-up question, the objective, and some other news and upcoming events. It is shown as students are coming in the door, and for the first few minutes as we get focused.

Updating everything was a pain, and took time.

But I sat down and thought about it, and came up with this solution...

I created a database, and made the 'single entry view' look like my warm-up slide. (Well, very similar to it). I also added a field on the screen saying "If I missed today I need to..." and my first period wraps up the day by telling me what I need to fill in that box.

This way, I am only typing the information ONCE, and it is always accessible to the students. (Even if they are suspended / absent ... they can see what I am showing that day, and all the past days). No repetition of work, no excuses. It is right in the database.

If you are interested in this, let me know, and I will make a backup of the database for you to play with.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ben Davis

Re: Idea: Warm-ups and Make-up work.

by Tonie Ogimachi -
Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting this. It does sound very interesting. I would like to see an example of your database. I work in a high school independent study program. We use a FileMaker Pro database for all of our assignments, and we are now exploring other options. So it would be great to see your example!

Thanks,
Tonie
In reply to Ben Davis

by Dan McGuire -
I, too, would like to look at your database. Even though I teach 4th grade, I think your idea would be useful for the academic task portion my 'Morning Message' Even if I have the students work in a spiral notebook this would be useful for the stragglers.

This kind of sharing of ideas is what makes Moodle so beautiful.
In reply to Ben Davis

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

What a really great idea... I would really like to see at least a screenshot of your database page... though a sample file would be great to.  I work with teachers trying to help them use the technology better... this idea will help some of them who do similar activities.  You might want to add this as a teaching idea to the documentation for the database.

Thanks so much for sharing,

Paula Clough

In reply to Ben Davis

by Ben Davis -
even more jazzed up... starting to look good.
Attachment jazzed-up.jpg
In reply to Ben Davis

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

Why don't you go to the database documentation page and share your fantastic idea under the creative uses section.... the address for it is...

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Database_module#Creative_uses  There is an edit tab at the top and you can add to that section.  That way even more people will get a chance to share!

Paula Clough

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Ben Davis -
Done, also put a pointer over in DB forum.

Does the last backup I put up work? I still haven't figured everything out yet.

Anyone see any improvements that should be included?

In reply to Ben Davis

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

Great!

I got the back up to work as in creating a new class and can import it across into my class... I tried exporting from that but have not yet been successful in trying to import in the presets... If I figure it out, I'll let you know. 

I really like the format you used with colored boxes, etc.  I haven't yet gotten that fancy in my databases... you have given me more ideas on that score also!  I have a project to finish by Wednesday. Hopefully after that, I will have more time to work on it and can give you more feedback. 

I have some teachers that I think will be very appreciative of this idea. It will help having it all set up so they can work off what you have done. As soon as I can get to them and share, I will let you know what they say. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

Re: Idea: Warm-ups and Make-up work. How to share this database...

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

I figured out the way to share a database.  There are 2 steps.  To share the database, you go to the presets tab and export them there. This will be a zip file.  Then you go to the Export tab and export the actual data.  This will be a CSV or an Excel file. 

When you go to the new class, set up a new database.  Then go to the presets tab and upload the zipfile with the presets, choose the file and then click on the import button.  This will bring in the fields to your database.  Then go to the Add Entry tab. At the bottom of that page is a link that says Upload entry from a file.  You can use the CSV or Excel file that was exported there.

I can only attach one file at a time in a forum, so I will do 2 posts to show you.

Paula Clough

In reply to Ben Davis

by Jayne Polachek -
This was a great idea.  Everyday I change daily info on my whiteboard.  I need to include the class objective, focus lesson, bellwork and homework.  Putting this on my moodle site would definitely decrease the amount of time I spend entering duplicate information...including the "Missed Work" binder. I will definitely put this to use in my classroom soon!
In reply to Ben Davis

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

There is a Database of Database in Moodle Exchange.  This is a place to share courses, scorm activities, glossaries, quiz questions and more.  It is here in the Moodle.org website.  The direct link is http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=15 or you can click on the My Courses link at the top of the webpage and you will see a list of all the courses.  If you would like to share, this would be a great way of doing so. It will hit even more users. 

If you need any help getting it there.  Let me know and I will be glad to help.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Ben Davis -
Thanks for the info on how to make a good export of it... in two pieces. the structure and the entries... which keeps from recreating all the students in an export.

Please, do post this on the database of databases.

[On a side note, my kids were giving me grief today... they said they liked the old one better (on powerpoint) because it was prettier. thoughtful.. So, I will be working on the CSS to see what else i can do with it...]
In reply to Ben Davis

by Paula Clough -

Ben,

I have been showing it to some of our high school teachers. Some of them are just beginning in Moodle so they are feeling a little overwhelmed... they really liked having something set up and ready to go... I am importing it in to them. 

You know someone told me one time that teenagers develop an new biological need... it's called complaining wink.

I really like your format.  It has inspired me to learn more about HTML programing so I can make my databases nicer.

Just a suggestion for your complainers...might think about adding a place for a small picture... that would make it look more like powerpoint... you could add a picture periodically to liven it up. 

Your database will be the 3rd one in Exchange. Come in and look around sometime.

Thought I would add the link to the Moodle docs page on preset.  Helen let me know about it. It might help anyone who is reading about your database.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Database_presets 

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Ben Davis

by Vicki Dunnam -

Please send me a copy of your database.  I am very interested in showing an example of this in a training session I am doing next week.  Thanks.

dunnam.vicki@mcm.edu

In reply to Ben Davis

by Colin Matheson -
Another twist on the daily log is to assign a student to be the classroom secretary/blogger for the week. I set up a forum and on Monday the student creates a new thread for the week describing what we did in class.

This is nice if you have access to a laptop a student can use in class because they can take notes and record what you are doing in real time. If there isn't a classroom computer, the student can transfer their notes to the forum later.

The classroom blogger method gives some responsibility to the student who is the blogger (which can be a good motivator for lots of students). Also students will inject some of their personality into the posts and/or add random facts from the day.

I like the idea of ending the period asking the whole class for a summary of the class (which is a good instructional practice for all teachers to use).
In reply to Colin Matheson

by Tomaz Lasic -
Excellent, love the 'responsibility' part!

Sounds like a fabulous recipe Colin ... wink