Embedded audio and accessibilty

Embedded audio and accessibilty

by Les Lusk -
Number of replies: 8
I really like the auto embedding function when using mp3 files with the editor.  I was all excited about using it in one of my online classes until I discovered that there was no way to provide alternate text for accessibilty purposes.  Has anyone else dealt with this issue?  I even thought to creating a pop-up with an "alt text" link to the side, but you can't create javascript within the editor.  Any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Les Lusk

Re: Embedded audio and accessibilty

by Timothy Takemoto -

Is it no accepable to view the linked text as the alternate text? The mp3 player never appears on its own, but always beside a linked text.

E.g.

. The text link explains the mp3 player's function, and it can have an alternate link.

In looking for ways of getting rid of this (in a sense) alternate text, I came accross Linda Jamin's way of adding mp3 links, which is to link from an image like this

This is a recording of me and my dog

Is immediately adjacent no good?

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Les Lusk -
I am wanting to create "sound bites" that can enhance the existing lecture notes.  If I were just going to use linked text, I might as well not even have the audio.  I want to be able to explain an example while the students are looking at it on the page.  I only need the alt text for those occasions where I have a student with hearing difficulties (or perhaps those with older browsers or connections) so that they would not lose out on the explanation.
In reply to Les Lusk

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Les,

First of all please note that you *must* link to something even if it is "click here" or even a period or an image. It is impossible (as far as I am aware) to link to nothing, and so have the autolinked mpe player appear on its own (sadly for me).

Now in your lecture notes, lets say you are linking to the phrase "sound bite" then the pause and play buttons will appear adjacent to it. For those that have hearing difficulties you can add the alternative text to the link from the text "sound bite" E.g. please wave your mouse over this

Since it is impossible to link to nothing there will always be the alternative text field of that which one is linking to.

The buttons can be thought of a "pause" and "replay" buttons, and the real "play button" is the link itself (which I repeat will always have text or an image and an alternate text field).

Since there is already always a place to insert alternate text, perhaps the flash player should come with a tool tip saying "pause" and "replay" or "play".

Tim

PS, I wish it were possible to make the interface inaccessible so that there is only the mp3 player, with no link (or space for alternate text) so that I can make it more difficult for students to download the sould files but this does not seem to be possible. If you know a way of having an autolink without a linked something (image, word) then please let me know.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just put nothing in your link.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Timothy Takemoto -

Martin,

Thanks for the about 5 fifth opportunity to listen to my dog and I. And that would be just what I want.

But I could have sworn I tried that. Yes...I definately tried it and it did not work *when using the HTML editor*. About a week ago I tried adding an empty link using the HTML editor and nothing appeared. *Now* when I press the link button without first saving any text I get a javascipt message saying "You must select text first!"

I guess you use the <> button and wrote your own HTML. I have a lot of questions to create so that is not quite the ticket. If I were using raw HTML then I guess I could aslo write the embed tag myself.

Shall I submit a bug askign that the HTML editor allow empty links?

Tim
Ps. No go on the quote? The deadline is tonight.

by Les Lusk -
Using title is not an option since, one it cuts off the text (notice that your full description isn't shown) and two, it doesn't stay on the screen long enough for many folks to read it.

This link uses the longdesc attribute (which will satisfy accessiblity requirements) but it isn't seen by anyone but screen readers.  Hmmm.  really need a way to do a small javascript pop-up box...

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Les,

Why can't you just add a link to a text file and have it open in its own window rather than using javascript?  (This works well if you are embedding the audio in an html resource--simply add a "view text" link right in the html editor, point to the uploaded text file and choose to have it open in a new window.)

Also, this isn't exactly what you are looking for but might give you other ideas.  I have my own mp3 player that includes scrolling text for the hearing impaired, those who just like to read along, or for teaching language.  It can be found in the last post of this discussion:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9011

Chardelle

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Les Lusk -
Because (at least in my installation) the window opens full screen when using the new window option in the editor.  That always confuses new users.  I'll take a look at your player.  It may just do the trick.  Thanks...