Bug? Quiz grade is not pushed properly to the Gradebook

Bug? Quiz grade is not pushed properly to the Gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 5
Hi everyone,
I am wondering if anyone saw similar behavior.

We run Moodle 1.8.5+ (Build: 20080416)
Saw 2 occurrences of the following:
1. Student took a quiz just once, got 25 points for it. However the gradebook displays 0.
2. Student took a quiz twice. Got 7 and 13 points. The quiz is set to take the highest grade. Gradebook displays 7.
We have even deleted the first attempt, still 7 is in the gradebook

All other students are OK.
Clicking Regrade does not help.

p.s. Should I post this in Quiz forum?

Elena

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Bug? Quiz grade is not pushed properly to the Gradebook

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a bug. I have seen similar reports before, but they are always intermittent, and we have never pinned down the cause. Any more detailed information about what is going on would be really helpful, the trouble is, that detailed information seem to be very hard to come by.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Tim,
Yes, it is very hard to provide a report, since I can not replicate the issue. It is completely random. I can only describe it in further detail, which, I am pretty sure, will not help that much.
Do we have it in tracker somewhere?
By the way, where do you think the issue coming from: 1.8 Gradebook not populating, or quiz interface not pushing properly?
Have you had reports for other versions?

Running Moodle 1.8.5+ (Build: 20080416)
Saw 2 occurrences of the following:

1. Course site had groups, but quiz was not in the group mode.
Student took a quiz once (one attempt was allowed)
Quiz had a 5 min time limit there.
She took 5 min 1 sec.

Quiz had seven essay questions, so the original grade was 0. Instructor regraded and typed 25 points for it. However,the gradebook still displayed 0.
Some other students, who were also overdue and then overrriden, were OK.
Pushing Regrade tab helped on the testing instance (which had a recent copy of prod), but did not help on prod. mixed

2. Course site had no groups. Another semester.
Student took a quiz twice (could have unlimited attempts)
Quiz had a password, but no time limit.
Quiz had only mult choice questions.
The student got automatically 7 and 13 points. The quiz is set to "push" the highest grade (so, it should be 13 for him), but Gradebook still displayed 7.
Other students were OK. Pushing Regrade tab did not help.
We have manually regraded 1 st attempt in quiz interface to 13 - did not help.
Then we have deleted the first attempt completely - still 7 is in the gradebook.

I have looked at quiz, gradebook, course site, role, and individual user settings - nothing weird there.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There are a bunch of existing bug reports, most of which are listed at Development:Changing_the_Moodle_Question_Engine#Robustness_issues.

MDL-13978 might possibly explain case 2. Oh, you are on Moodle 1.8. The gradebook was completely different there.

If you want to nose around in the database, know that the individual attempt grades are stored in the quiz_attemtps table, and then then quiz_grades table is stores the best/first/last/average grade.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Barry Oosthuizen -
I've had a similar thing happen to me but it was because I manually updated a grade in the gradebook (with good reason) and then forgot about it. When I checked some weeks later I couldn't figure out why the grade was different from what was obtained in the quiz and it wasn't regrading when I was regrading. I notice the gradebook colours it differerenly when it's been manually edited in the gradebook so that helps as a reminder. Just thought someone else might find this useful (probably not what's causing your error).
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Elena Ivanova -
we have 1.8.5 - where people can not update the gradebook grades smile