For background, many of the terms seemed to be sensible to the developers, but they were not intuitive to teacher in the field. Hence, special training has been required and remembering the meanings from term to term is also a problem.
Here are my suggestions and an attached page from the gradebook configuration page (Categories and items) with my suggested improvements
- Aggregation -> Summarize by (Aggregation is a pretty technical term not used in grading)
- Weighted mean of grades -> Weighted grades (Simplifies the term and people don't think of this as taking a mean)
- Mean of grades -> Average of percentages (This method converts grade items to percentages and averages them. This term is more intuitive)
- Simple weighted mean of grades -> Average of points (This common method totals points earned and divides by points possible.
- Mean of grades (with extra credit) -> Eliminate and implement extra credit in a standard way
- Mode of grades -> Eliminate or comment out in the source code to simplify
- Multipliplicator -> Multiple grade by (The original term is too technical an not intuitive)
- Offset -> Add to grade (The original term is too technical an not intuitive)