Remember to commit to the correct branch in CVS

Remember to commit to the correct branch in CVS

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 10
There have recently be several commits into 1.5dev (the HEAD branch in CVS) which should have gone into 1.4beta (the MOODLE_14_STABLE) branch. There is a good explanation of how the Moodle branches work at http://moodle.org/doc/?file=cvs.html. The principle is to commit bug fixes to the stable branch first and then to merge them over to the development branch and at the same time move the merge tag.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Remember to commit to the correct branch in CVS

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Sorry, I tought languagefiles always had to go to the HEAD.
How to solve this?
In reply to koen roggemans

by Tom Murdock -
if you switch your local files to the stable version:
cvs update -dP -r MOODLE_14_STABLE

then you would be aligned with where you want to be.

Pause.

I think.  smile

by Gustav W Delius -
Ah, sorry, I may actually be wrong. I assumed that when Martin prepares the beta or final release of 1.4 he will use the MOODLE_14_STABLE branch for it. However it is quite possible that for the language files he will actually always use the HEAD branch. So ignore my post until you hear from Martin (who will hopefully be in bed at this time).

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
found it in my external memory big grin

See this discussion

by Gustav W Delius -
Sorry to have caused the confusion. clown

by koen roggemans -
It's necessary to keep an eye on those things. Thanks for your concern.

by Gustav W Delius -
Yes, but it is a genuine question: when I change a help file to reflect a new feature in the development version, where do I commit it without upsetting the next incremental release on the stable branch?

by koen roggemans -

For backwards compatibility of the languagefiles on the downloadpages you can't do that.

If you want to put a different content in a helpfile, the best thing you can do is create a new file, eg with an incrementing verionnumber (help.html, help2.html) and leaving the old file untouched. The old versions of the feature are pointing to help.html, the version with the changed feature points to help2.html.

IMHO this is the only way to guarantie the backwardscompatibility of the languagepacks.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This info could be put at the end of the docs/translation.html file. What do you think?
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by koen roggemans -
It's less important for translators, but it is indeed a good idea to know as much as possible on how files are treated.
Also for new translations it is good enough only to translate the most recent version.