Filemaker Integration vs Custom Moodle Plugins

Filemaker Integration vs Custom Moodle Plugins

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Number of replies: 2
We are considering developing our own web enabled SIS/MIS. One of the things being considered is using Filemaker to develop an SIS system and then to integrate that with Moodle. The other idea is to make custom plugins the Moodle way. Here's sort of what I have so far weighing the pros and cons of both ideas:

Developing our own SIS Moodle plugins

Pros
Cons
Community Support
Slow Development Time for Moodle newbies
Can go completely Open Source
High learning Curve
Performance (I'm guessing)

Sustainability - potential to keep on growing even if original developers abandon it.

Better OS options

Developing our own SIS with Filemaker which integrates with Moodle

Pros
Cons
Ease of use (point & click)
OS Platform Restrictions (Windows & Mac Only) for Server
Rapid Development time
Still need to figure out Moodle for integration
Low Learning Curve
No Community Involvement

Software License Cost (£200 - £2000 depending on version)

Any comments or advice will be most appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

Re: Filemaker Integration vs Custom Moodle Plugins

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Barry,

As someone who had developed a rather complex database application to help manage various aspects of a public water/wastewater utility, I generally tend to discourage doing it on your own without a fair amount of support. I had a friend who owned a computer shop and he had a sign on his counter that said customers have a right to any two of the following through: fast, cheap, and good. If you have a lot of money (or other resources) you can usually develop something reasonably quickly and pretty good (or pay someone else to do it). If you have a lot of time you can usually develop something reasonably good and cheap for yourself. If you do not care too much about quailty you can usually piece something together for yourself cheaply and quickly. I'm not sure what your reasons would be for using Filemaker (back in the day I used Paradox and wanted to move toward Oracle - before I became a big fan of open source), but I might consider one of the databases that works with Moodle (n.b. I'm assuming Filemaker would not but do not know this for a fact since I've not worked with it). It is convenient if you can have one common database server and all of your data there. In addition, then you could work on having some integration between the two systems pretty easily.

I've been following with interest the development of SISs and most of the open source ones do not appear to be mature enough for prime time. That said, perhaps getting a few more folks working on development would be helpful. I personally believe that the open source model provides a way of breaking through my friend's fast, cheap, good limitation. I think you can develop software that is fast, cheap, and good if you collaborate well with others. So if I were in your shoes I would be thinking of either joining an existing project and set my folks to work on building it up and getting it up to standards that you would like or possibly even starting your own project. I think working in community (perhaps with folks found at http://sis.akedu.us/ - which I just found doing a quick Google search) might be a good way to go. I might start by looking at http://www.schoolforge.net/education-software/web-based-student-information-systems-sis and seeing if there are any of those that you wish to get involved with. Keep me posted what you decide and feel free to let me know if you have other questions.

Peace - Anthony

p.s. - Another site listing some open source SISs is at http://schoolcomputing.wikia.com/wiki/Student_Information_Systems
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Filemaker Integration vs Custom Moodle Plugins

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Anthony,

thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

I've had a look at other open source SISs and haven't found something that looks user friendly, easy to install, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much activity going on at http://sis.akedu.us/, I've already had a look at http://www.schoolforge.net/education-software/web-based-student-information-systems-sis and didn't find anything that looked like it was simple or useful enough, maybe there is a gem in there somewhere. I've just installed Schooltool on Ubuntu, it looks simpler and easier than all the rest I've looked at so far, but I couldn't find the attendance feature yet and it doesn't use PHP or MySQL sad I suspect the attendance taking is a manual system anyway which doesn't take me any further than the Moodle Attendance module.

On the Filemaker side of things, I'm told it can be set (one of the advanced versions of Filemaker I think) to use MySQL as a backend database, PHP as a scripting language etc. Not sure exactly how it works but it's supposed to be very fast to develop web applications with (Point & Click, Drag and drop etc).

Cheers,

Barry