underline or highlight words or phrases by quiz takers?

underline or highlight words or phrases by quiz takers?

by Nyree Williams -
Number of replies: 3
Hi everyone

I know a TEACHER can highlight or underline a word or phrase in a quiz, but is there any way for the QUIZ-TAKER themselves to do this (as part of their test), using hotpot activities?

Here is the question I would like to set:

"In the short article below, there is one language mistake in each line. Underline each mistake...."

I've seen the FindIt activity but it encourages random clicking to find the mistakes.

I am writing a test for advanced students so they must identify the mistakes with no additional help.

Any suggestions or workarounds gratefully received

Thanks

Nyree
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nyree Williams

Re: underline or highlight words or phrases by quiz takers?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> I've seen the FindIt activity but it
> encourages random clicking to find the mistakes.

I'm sorry but I don't quite see how what you want to do is different from FindIt thoughtful. If you think FindIt encourages random clicking, why don't you think that your new exercise type will not simply encouraging random underlining?

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Nyree Williams -
Hi Gordon

Thanks for responding

The question I have in mind forms part of a test for advanced learners, so it is important for the validity of this test that there is no 'instant' feedback during the test itself.
So, no amount of underlining (or highlighting or any other means of identifying the error) will help them during the test. This will discourage the student from random clicking / underlining in the hope of stumbling on the right word or phrase; I want to find out what they really know!

this is the full question:

"In the short article below, there is one language mistake in each line.
Underline each mistake and write the correct word or words on the lines on
the right"
eg:

To stay in bad hotels affects your ability to do your job. >>>>>>> Staying

cheers
Nyree
In reply to Nyree Williams

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Nyree,
thanks for the extra info. In effect you want to administer a "test" and you don't want any the feedback while the students are doing the activity.

Probably it is easiest for you to modify the Javascript for FindIt so that right/wrong feedback is not shown to the students and the scoring also takes into account the fill-in the blank type of space.

I did something like this when I developed the ANCT-Scan add-on (with John Herbert) for the QuizPort module. Students know there are 10 things to find to in the text, but they don't get right/wrong feedback on each click. Since there is a time limit, they do not get a chance to click randomly either. The activity stops when the time runs out or when they find all the target features.

I can't remember enough of the fine details of the FindIt Javascript now to be able to give you exact instructions on what to change, but that is the method I think you should pursue.

Thinking about it some more, this would be an interesting project for a "output format" for the QuizPort module. Using JCloze to input the activity and a modified FindIt to present the exercise to the student.

hope that helps
Gordon