Inserting grades from outside

Inserting grades from outside

by Dan Stowell -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

Is it possible to insert grades into the Moodle gradebook for a student, from outside the system? We have an in-house assessment system called LAPT which we have integrated with WebCT in this way, and I'd like to get it working with Moodle too.

A student on one of our WebCT course can click through into LAPT (which picks up their user ID; it also picks up which WebCT course we're in from a URL parameter), then when they've finished their score is passed back into the WebCT gradebook (using WebCT's own API).

Is there something in place within Moodle to do this?

I vaguely remember that one of the standards (QTI?) included a generic mechanism for passing grades between systems, but I don't know how that would work.

I can imagine there are authentication issues (how would Moodle decide whether to trust the outside system). WebCT's approach is to use a password/hashing system to make the communication between the systems secure.

Thanks in advance!
Dan
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: Inserting grades from outside

by Tom Murdock -
Dan,

This is one of my favorite things about 1.4.

From the add resource menu choose to "link to a file and resource,"
point the link at the entrypoint of your LAPT.

Then near the bottom of the page, you'll notice a list of parameters.  Map those across from the Moodle variables to the place that you are sending the kids.

Then when the students click on the link, the paramenters will be passed to the external site and your students will be logged into a second place where they can retrieve whatever data they need.

This is new enough that I haven't tried it myself, but I'm going to mess around today with setting up a publishing site for my students using this technique.

Good luck,
Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Dan Stowell -
Tom,

Thanks for this - sounds good. I'll try out 1.4 when it's official.

What you just described tells me how to achieve Moodle->LAPT, but what about LAPT->Moodle? What I mean is, is the Moodle gradebook set up to accept values passed in by an "external" HTTP request? Or is that something we'd need to code ourselves?

Thanks
Dan
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Steven Day -
I'm interested in this too, since our school does have WebCT. But I must admit feeling uneasy given my lack of knowledge and concern about privacy. Should I just wait for Gradebook to come out and do everything within Moodle?

Thanks.

Steven
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Peter Fairfield -

Dan,

I've only downloaded moodle today, but I am a little disheartened that I haven't found an interface/module that allows an external system to post grades to moodle. Have you discovered or written anything?  I'm considering writing an interface, but this seems to be something that should already be implemented. 

Peter

In reply to Peter Fairfield

by Dan Stowell -
Peter,

No, I think as yet it's still not possible, and we haven't written anything. Sorry...

Dan
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Carlos Hedges -
Any news on being able to insert grades into moodle from an outside assessment tool? I have thousands of quiz and test scores from a home-grown assessment tool that I would LOVE to be able to dump daily to moodle.
In reply to Carlos Hedges

by Timothy Takemoto -

I would like to know more about this too. As asked by Hiroto recently on the Japanes forums, when using moodle to complement ofline courses with offline marking it would be nice to be able to insert offline grades. As I remember there was even a module for doing this, but I may be wrong.
Timothy