Hopefully the last release of NWiki for moodle 1.9

Hopefully the last release of NWiki for moodle 1.9

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 10
AS most of you may already know, we are working on the Wiki module for Moodle 2.0
This wiki module is being created from scratch so will not share bugs with NWiki or Wiki. It will also migrate wikis from std Wiki, NWiki (1.9) and OU-Wiki.

This being said, we found some time to fix a number of well know bugs of NWiki for 1.9.
Important to mention the bugfix in IE (my first proposal is to NOT USE IE, but since some users keep on it...), fix on separate groups, some installation bugs when fancy gruops wikis are migrated and postgresql issues.

We even created a new users guide.

You may find the new NWiki release in www.dfwikilabs.org and in the old site.

I hope this is rthe last version of NWiki and we will start talking soon about Wiki 2.0

Ale!

Ludo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Hopefully the last release of NWiki for moodle 1.9

by Scott Krajewski -
I just tried installing it and my admin page spewed

Parse error: parse error in .../mod/wiki/class/wikistorage.class.php on line 160

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: storage in .../mod/wiki/lib/misc.lib.php on line 157
In reply to Scott Krajewski

by Scott Krajewski -
It looks like a typo in a new statement. The corrected line is

$this->groupmember->groupid = array_shift($group->groupid);

But my separate groups seems to still not be working.

by Steve Wright -
Fantastic news - the save button works!

HTML editor doesn't work in Safari and throws an error that Mozilla > 1.3 is not supported - not a bug just for info.

Looking forward to a ground-up new build for moodle 2.0 with OU wiki import and hopefully all the features of media wiki and nWiki but with the reliability of OU wiki...

Thanks for the update - has come in time to save me a total course rewrite...

by Mark van Hoek -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
It's the same quality as we've come to expect from NWiki: ugly & buggy - some new & interesting bugs as well as most of the old ones. The install doesn't even work.

by John White -
Hi Ludo,

I have tried this install over eWiki in Moodle 1.9.4 on a local MAMP installation, and I got one or two errors on the conversion, but NWiki seemed to work correctly thereafter.
However, I have got a bug in the editor: I don't seem to be able to define the editor size which remains tiny, but really oddly the 'stretch' corner which exists in Safari is entirely missing in Firefox 3.0.3, so the editor remains tiny and unusable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but have you met this issue?

Also, should the CVS directories been in the zip file - or have I entirely misunderstood how the install works???

Regards,

John
Attachment nwiki.jpg
In reply to John White

by John White -
...further to that, I have seen that this issue appears in Firefox (3.0.3) but NOT in Safari 3.

Does this ring any bells?

Regards,

John

by Ben McLuckie -
Uh oh! I just installed NWiki into Moodle 1.9.1+ and now my standard Moodle wiki just shows the first page with title but no content. There are no more linking pages. On installation, the MySQL tables upgraded successfully, but I did get errors transferring the content with a function page_name() error. (Should have copied the messages). If I click on the edit tab, I get the "Fatal error: Call to a member function page_name() on a non-object in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/mod/wiki/lib/moodle/persistence_manager.php on line 239".

Please advise! Since I plan to upgrade to Moodle 2.0 before September 2009, I just thought I should upgrade my Wiki now before my students did too much writing, and this would just make the transition to Moodle 2.0 smoother.

Fortunately, it appears all my original content is still in the MySQL database.

Specs: Moodle 1.9.1+, MySQL 5.0.27, php 5.2.0.
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Ben McLuckie -
Well, I manually fixed it.

First I tried to uninstall NWiki since I had made backups of the eWiki modules, etc., but this failed - the original module still wanted NWiki (must have been the database upgrade)!

Since all my content was still in my MySQL database, I exported the wiki_pages table as an Excel csv file. Then I cut and pasted into NWiki, but it required way to much cleanup of html code with the default NWiki editor. I changed everything to the HTML editor, tried again, and vola! I only needed to add brackets for internal links and redo the graphics as regular images.

2 hours later, and the job is done! Whew!

Also, the NWiki editor is turning up unbelievably tiny, just like with the previous poster. I tried in Safari, Camino, Firefox browsers, and none of them have resize handles.
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Mark van Hoek -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
To fix the size:

Update line ~1599 to add an id to the textarea:
$output = "<textarea".' id="wikitextarea"'.$propert->cols.$propert->rows.$propert->name.$propert->class.$propert->style.$propert->events.">\n".$info."\n</textarea>";

Add this to /mod/wiki/nwiki.css:
#wikitextarea{width:800px;height:500px;}

It's hacky but it works.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark van Hoek

by John White -
Mark,

Thanks very much for the hack for /mod/wiki/weblib.php and the css file - that will do fine for now.

But as a result of you pointing me in that direction I realize two things.
1. That Safari probably puts the dragable re-sizer in by default, but Firefox does not, and,
2. That the upgrade to nWiki didn't add a couple of fields to mdl_wiki which I think should be 'editorrows' & 'editorcols'.
This probably means a few other things could be ary with my install, and I had better go back and check what!

But I wont stir up any more ire on that score! smile

Regards,

John