Multiple Choice Question Feedback

Multiple Choice Question Feedback

by Ali Shah -
Number of replies: 7
I am currently using the Multiple Choice Quiz within Moodle 1.9.

As I understand, the feedback for this particular quiz type is only available, once the user has answered and submitted all questions (i.e by clicking on the 'submit all and finish' button ).

However, I want to be able to display the question feedback immediately after the the user has answered the question, and clicked on the 'Next' hyperlink. I am displaying only 1 question per page. Clicking the 'Next' hyperlink would usually take the user to the next question. However, my users / students need to obtain detailed feedback immediately after answering the question, as a lot of the questions are very complex. Please can you let me know if this is possible? I suspect if I need to make any change it will be in the 'attempt.php' file.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Shah

Re: Multiple Choice Question Feedback

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Adaptive mode (perhaps with a penalty factor of 1) is as close as you are going to get to this for now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ali Shah -
Hi Tim

Thanks for your response. I guess that would work to a degree, with a few tweaks. I've had a play with the adaptive mode, but the problem I have is that once you 'submit all and finish', the first question is re-loaded with the feedback again. What I really wanted was just to display the test score (or something equivalent). I went back into editing the quiz and looked at the 'Review Options' (i.e. where you can choose when to give the user review feedback). However, I couldn't see anything in there.  Is it possible to show a review / scores page at the end of an adaptive mode quiz, after the the user clicks on 'submit all and finish', without reloading the questions and feedback again?
Thanks
In reply to Ali Shah

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What is the problem with giving the students a second chance to review their work?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ali Shah -
Agree there's nothing wrong with giving a second chance to review feedback. The problem is, I will be having very detailed feedback, and perhaps between 20-50 questions in a particular category / module. Therefore to go through the feedback second time around, might be time consuming and off putting for students. Therefore a simple summary page detailing marks achieved for a particular would be sufficient.
In reply to Ali Shah

by Tim Hunt -
Well, the review page does have a score summary at the top, with a 'Finish review' button right there. So you could just tell students that they don't have to bother reading the feedback a second time - assuming that they do not work that out on their own.

I agree it is not ideal.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ali Shah -

Thanks. Do you know if I am able to have that 'Finish Review' button on the attempts.php page. I've already created this button within the code, but was wondering if instead of navigating to the 'review.php' page (i.e. where the finish button resides), the user would got straight to the 'view.php' page, where he would obtain the summary. In essence the user would bypass the 'review.php' page. Not sure if this would work from a technical perspective.

Thanks

In reply to Ali Shah

by Tim Hunt -
Well, if you are happy hacking the code, look in attempt.php for the place where it does redirect('...review.php...'); and make that redirect to the view.php page instead.