Useful ratings problem on these forums?

Useful ratings problem on these forums?

by Sharon Goodson -
Number of replies: 15
The last few days I've noticed the submit useful rating button on these forums is not displayed and ratings can't be submitted.

Is anyone else experiencing this (and should I have posted this somewhere else)?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Sharon Goodson

Re: Useful ratings problem on these forums?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I haven't noticed any difference. I know I can't rate my own posts as useful, but that's about all smile
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is because of an enhancement that Eloy did. Try rating a post, and you will see why the submit button is no longer necessary. (Unless there is a bug wink)
Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sharon Goodson -
well, I'll be - the last two days it wasn't all cool and magic like that - I swear! I even refreshed pages to see if ratings were posting automatically, but they weren't. I love that little swirly blue glow...

I'm gonna go find the posts that didn't rate for me!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well fancy that - I can see it too smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: AJAX forum rating

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As Tim says, we've Eloy to thank for AJAX forum rating. approve Please see Forum ratings for more details.

PS Just moving this discussion to the moodle.org design forum, in case others are wondering what has happened to the "Send in my latest ratings" button.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Helen Foster

by John White -
Great! Thanks Eloy approve. Its a small but, brilliant step forward!

Can I also mention, Helen, that I believe the summary text at the top of each forum (most especially General Problems) would benefit from this addition...
"Where you find a posting of benefit to you, you can 'rate' this posting as helpful."

I think with this and Eloy's instant ratings the number of PHM could jump 50% at least in no time at all, to the encourage of many who are endeavoring to support others!

Best regards,

John
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to John White

by Mary Cooch -

Actually that is a good point John - I have often thought that new posters who are very appreciative of help aren't aware of or don't understand the rating system and therefore don't do it  - so  a message could make the point pertinently.

In reply to John White

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks John, as suggested, I've added a sentence about rating posts to the general problems forum and a few of the other really busy forums.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sharon Goodson -

I think that's a great idea, too. I know I wasn't really aware of its function for some time (I don't know how you can miss it, but you do, er...uh...ok - I did). 

It looks way more cool in Firefox - I tried it in IE thinking the prior 'non-function'  might be IE related -  nevertheless, the effect looks 'old school' in IE  ...maybe 'cause IE is old school *lol*

Perhaps something could be added where the submit button used to be, since now we just have an orphaned help button - even a simple "why rating posts is useful"  clown  might be helpful - I'll bet a lot of Moodlers aren't aware it's more than just kudos, that it actually generates a useful feed to help doc writers (oh, man, it's going to be one of those weird days...).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by John White -
Thanks Helen. I think that will benefit all one way or another.

I quite like Sharon's suggestion too!

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Matt Gibson -
Might be good to have a 'most useful posts today' block somewhere in order to raise visibility of stuff that's worth seeing.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Must ... get ... to ... MDLSITE-550
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Sharon Goodson -
Voted, watching and checking out Useful Thread. I like Matt's block idea too.

And Helen and Martin should get a useful ratings for the tracker...
Average of ratings: Useful (2)