Enable "create users" at a category level ?

Enable "create users" at a category level ?

by Annick F -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to Enable "create users" at a category level? - Or does this mean that staff with this priviledge will also have access to all courses ?

Many Thanks

Annick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annick F

Re: Enable "create users" at a category level ?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

It doesn't quite work like that. What I think you *really* want to do is..

* Allow a user to create new users on the site - user's are site wide. They are not tied to courses by default
* Allow the user to *assign* the user to a role in courses at the category level.

I would do this by creating an "add users" role with just enough capabilities to create new users. Assign them to that role at the Site level. THEN assign them to a suitable role (that allows them to assign/enrol users in courses) at the Category level.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Annick F -

This is what I have done:

I created a new role at a site level ( called "user creator") which is the duplicate of the student role but, within that new role, I also enabled the "create users" option.
I then assigned the user to t"user creator" role, and finally at the selected "course category" level, I assigned the user with the non editing teacher role.

By doing that I was hopping that this user will be able to create users (and he can), but will only have access to the courses available in the selected category ( at the moment he has access to all the courses - and they are all displayed in the "my courses" block).

Thanks for your help.

Annick

In reply to Annick F

by Ray Lawrence -
It mat be better to have a limited set of capabilities for the "user creator" role. At the moment users assigned this role will have tose student capabilities in every course on the site.

Similar principles apply to the role assigned at category level. If I recall correctly Non Editing Teachers can assign users to roles.
In reply to Annick F

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What you wanted was a new *empty* role with just create users enabled. They don't need all the student rights (as you found out).
In reply to Howard Miller

by Annick F -
This is exactly what I needed.
Thank you very much for your help.

Annick