Some Students do not appear in Gradebook - reason unknown

Some Students do not appear in Gradebook - reason unknown

by phil walley -
Number of replies: 6

I have 550 or so users on my Moodle across the world. I have found recently that a few (about 5 -10) of these users do not appear in the gradebook. They DO appear in logs as having taken assessments and I can find the results in the database. I have also added a table to the profile page so each user can see all their assessment passes here and Moodle displays this correctly for these users. It is only the gradebook where they do not appear.

At present I can see no reason for this at all. I see a few other people have had similar problems and I'm hoping someone somewhere has found a solution to this.

If you can help please let me know. I will of course post a solution if I find one myself.

Thanks

In reply to phil walley

Re: Some Students do not appear in Gradebook - reason unknown

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Phil,

Do the students not appear at all in the gradebook, or is it just some of their grades which don't appear? Are they assigned a non-graded role? What version of Moodle are you using?

PS Please don't make multiple posts about the same problem. If nobody is able to help you within a reasonable time, you may wish to report your problem in the tracker.
In reply to Helen Foster

by phil walley -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for replying. Students don't appear at all, but they do not have a particular role that would cause this (in fact they just don't have a role other than student). I am using Moodle 1.9.

The reason I posted to the General forum is that I wanted to bring this problem to light. I noticed others reporting something similar issues weeks or months ago and they had no response. But this bug seems pretty fubdamental to an LMS. If reporting doesn't work, then assessments and courses become redundant. What do I need to do to report this to the tracker?

In reply to Helen Foster

by phil walley -

I've just had a brainstorm and eventually found the following. If I look at assessment results as opposed to the gradebook, everyone who has taken the assessment appears. Some of these people however, do not show in gradebook.

I also noticed that although these odd people can be found on reports for a course, they do not appear in the participants list. So it seemd they were simply not enrolled. Once they were enrolled the they appeared in gradebook as normal. Some of these 'odd' people had taken 8 or 10 assessments in different courses and didn't appear in any of the gradebooks. However, they only needed to be enrolled in 1 course to appear correctly in all gradebooks.

This is a big leap forward. I now have the problem of how someone can take 8 - 10 assessments and yet not be enrolled in any course!?

In reply to phil walley

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is it possible that the students were previously enrolled but then became unenrolled? Please see the Enrolment FAQ for causes of users becoming unenrolled.
In reply to phil walley

by Rich Brennan -
I too am having this problem. None of my students are showing up in the gradebook. This is my first attempt at using Moodle and I not sure where to look for a solution. I am using version 1.9.3, all students are new. I see the students in the logs and i am able to give them grades but when I go to grades, all i see is myself listed with no grades, and no students are listed. I am not sure why I am listed, maybe because i enrolled as a student and was then elevated to Teacher? not sure. Any thoughts on what i did wrong or is it the version of Moddle that I am using? Any help would be appreciated. I am lost at this point.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Helen Foster -
Hi Rich,

Please check the following:
  1. Student is set as a graded role in Administration > Grades > General settings
  2. 'Show gradebook to students' is set to yes in the course settings.