Can't add user images (Moodle served from Mac OSX)

Can't add user images (Moodle served from Mac OSX)

by Barron Koralesky -
Number of replies: 3

I had a test install of Moodle running under Mac OS X and all was well.  I followed the install instructions (for Mac OSX client, not server) I found linked from this site.  Users could add their avatar pictures just fine.  GD was installed with the PHP install that was recommended.

Then, for a yet unknown reason, they couldn't add pictures.  GD seemed to not be recognized.  Oh well, I was moving to a new server soon, so I let it go.

Now I installed an a new server (Mac OS 10.3.5).  I installed PHP with GD again.  This time users can not apply user pictures right from the start.  However, the moodle variables page reports that "GD 2.x is installed."  I tried switching the slasharguments value, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I am confused.  Any advice?

Thanks all! 

[P.S.  Great product!  Thanks for all the work on Moodle!!!]
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barron Koralesky

Re: Can't add user images (Moodle served from Mac OSX)

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Try the following: go to the Moodle variables page and click on the "Save Changes" button.
In reply to Barron Koralesky

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Check to see that you have your data folder set up properly. Can it be accessed (permissions)?

I run several copies of Moodle on an OS X machine (have so for several years) so, rest assured, it works!

Let me know if I can be of any more help. Give as much information about your setup as possible.

Cheers,
ptervin...Moodling in Hiroshima, Japan
In reply to P. Timothy Ervin

by Barron Koralesky -

How embarassing...  It was a data folder permission error.  I thought I had checked that.

For reference, who needs access to the folder?  I made it owned by the webserver, and 777 permissions (temporarily).  Can I use 755, or 775?

Thanks!