Any update to AICC-HACP

Any update to AICC-HACP

by Kevin James -
Number of replies: 2
Back in August I posted this thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=104246

At the time I was using Moodle as a test bed to develop and AICC-HACP compliant course that would be hosted on a separate server from Moodle, but that needed to talk to Moodle through the AICC-HACP. This was unsupported functionality at the time (see the thread), so I ended up testing against my own little test server instead and got the course working. Now we've got a client who is actually using Moodle as their LMS though, so I'm wondering if the AICC-HACP functionality has been updated since I last checked?

If not, I'm wondering where I would start if I wanted to look into implementing this? If you've got the AICC-HACP functionality working already working for content hosted on the same server, then I would think it shouldn't be too much of a chore to try and get it working for externally hosted content.

Thanks,
Kevin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin James

Re: Any update to AICC-HACP

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kevin,

no progress on AICC in Moodle 1.9 sorry - There have been a few patches that went into Moodle 2.0 around AICC handling, however I don't think what you are looking for was addressed.

You could contact a Moodle Partner to get a quote to get AICC finished in Moodle - would be nice to get it certified at some point too. (not sure if this is useful though)

It would be a good idea to look at the new file repository capabilities in Moodle 2.0 - It could provide a clean solution for you.
In reply to Kevin James

Re: Any update to AICC-HACP

by Martin Holden -

Hey Kevin

I have just finished working with Piers to patch the AICC HACP interface in Moodle to fix some compliance issues around AICC "data" but the HACP interface for remote content has worked fine since 1.8.3

You need the latest MOODLE_19_WEEKLY or MOODLE_18_WEEKLY (specifically these minimum versions 1.8.8+ (Build: 20090304) and 1.9.4+ (Build: 20090304) ) to get the AICC data fixes.

The issues you may be finding is that the AICC_URL which is sent to your content cannot be resolved by your content, or permission is denied due to cross domain.

Let me give you a couple of  examples:

I work for SkillSoft and we use a Java Applet to perform our HACP comms. If our externally hosted content (content.skillsoft.com) is launched from (lms.behindthefirewall.local) and uses an UNSIGNED Java Applet then it wont track, WHY? because Unsigned Java Applets are only allowed to create network connections to the server they are instantiated from. Hence why we use a SIGNED applet that is allowed to communicate to any server.

A customer was using some Flash Based content, Flash is prevented from crossdomain posting unless a special file (crossdomain.xml) is placed in the root of the LMS server. See here http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14213&sliceId=1

A customer has a "server based" course they hosted (customer.content.com) the LMS was not internet addressible and so the "content" could not connect to the LMS.

I hope these help point you in the right direction.

Regards

Martin