Firebug version 1.3 freezes download manager

Firebug version 1.3 freezes download manager

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 25
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

With Firebug version 1.3 installed, when downloading large files within the Moodle interface, Firefox's download manager freezes. The only solution I have found so far is to revert to version 1.2.1 of Firebug.

Has anyone experienced this problem (reported on the French moodle forums)?

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Firebug version 1.3 freezes download manager

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
BUMP
No-one else suffering from this bug?
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
Hi, Joseph,

I tried, but can't reproduce the error reliably.

Downloading a 15.8 MB MP3 file from my local development system (XAMPP, Win2K, Moodle 1.9.2, Firebug v. 1.3) froze the download manager the very first time, but all subsequent downloads worked.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Frank,
That is precisely the bug: you can't download a large file the first time: the download manager freezes. If you go to the DM and cancel the download, then try again immediately you can download that file.
But the problem starts again with each new file you want to download, so this makes the 1.3 version of Firebug really incompatible with the download manager.
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
Hi, Joseph,

I had a look at Bugzilla's bug list:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=%22download+manager%22+freezes

There's only four bugs mentioning freezing of the download manager, all happening on Windows machines. Do you also encounter the bug on Non-Windows computers?

Here's the bug report on the Firebug bug list:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1373

Regards,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Frank

Do you also encounter the bug on Non-Windows computers?

Non-Windows computers? what are they?wink

Thanks for pursuing this and pointing me to the bugzilla bug list. The bug does seem to appear on windows computers (not on my university's computer people's nix system).

Joseph

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I can confirm.
Firebug freezes download manager on Mac OS X.4.11.
Even if you stop and restart the download, the problem persists.
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Joseph Rézeau -
Oh well then it's not only a Windows problem. Thanks Daniele for confirming that.
Anyone else suffering from this problem with Firebug 1.3 ?
Joseph

by Yolanda Ordóñez Rufat -
I can confirm it also happens in linux sad

When I dowload a file it hangs in the "a few seconds remaining" stage forever. If I go to de download manager cancel the job and then retry, the download finish correctly and I get the file.

I'm using Firebug_ 1.3.0 and Firefox 3.0.5 on an Ubuntu 8.04.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121621 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.5

by Joseph Rézeau -
I have just re-installed Firebug version 1.3 on my Firefox Windows XP and the download freeze problem seems to have disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared. Maybe the bug (if there ever was one) has been fixed in the very latest version available?
Joseph

by Katia Quelennec -
Hello,
I tried to do the same thing on my Firefox Windows XP but I have always the same problem. So I don't think the bug has been fixed.
Have someone another idea?
Thanks,

Katia

by Joseph Rézeau -
Oops, the download manager freeze problem is still there.sad

No Firebug problem after all?

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

I tried to download http://dev.moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=56 (which redirects to
http://dev.moodle.org/file.php/2/handouts/block_simplehtml.tar.gz) and failed with Firefox, even with Firebug disabled. The download freezes. And this is only a 9 KB file.

However, with IE 6 it does work, but strangely the downloaded file is named "block_simplehtml[1].tar.gz". That would suggest a server configuration error, doesn't it?

Kind regards,
Frank

Win 2K, Firefox 3.0.6, Firebug v 1.3, IE 6
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: No Firebug problem after all?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi
Both URLs you give require a login, so I don't know how to test the download... As regards the download manager bug with fire_bug version 1.3 I am having it on and off, so have not made progress on this subject...
Joseph

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Joseph,

The URLs are part of the Moodle Developer Course (http://dev.moodle.org). The course is networked so you can use your usual Moodle login:

http://moodle.org/auth/mnet/jump.php?hostid=6

The download manager freezes and doesn't even show the usual buttons (see screen shot).

Frank
Attachment Download_freezes.png
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Mauno Korpelainen -
I don't think this is a firebug problem alone - downloading that file worked just fine in my Firefox 3.0.6 - and took only 3 or 4 seconds. I do have the latest version (1.3.2) of Firebug installed.

I tested also older version of moodle 1.9.2+ with no problems - and tested uploading files to Windows 2003 server and downloading 24 MB file did not take much longer.

EDIT:

Maybe the problem is that some other process (virus scanner/malware?) is stopping download before previous job is finished. Or am I the only one who does not have problems with Firebug?

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Joseph,

I tried to reproduce this but could not - I installed and uninstalled version 1.3 of Firebug and it took some time (about 2 minutes) to upload a pretty large file (24MB) to my test server but it still worked also with version 1.3 of Firebug.

Do you mean that your browser really freezes (does not respond anyway)? If all settings of moodle, php and apache allow uploading large files and memory limit does not cut uploading in IE the problem might be memory limit of running scripts in Firefox itself.

In Firefox try to

1. Type about:config in Firefox's address bar.
   2. Scroll down to the value for dom.max_script_run_time.
   3. Change (double click) the value to something higher than the default (for example 100)

Restart firefox and test uploading the large file - take a cup of coffee or tea (or something stronger if you like) and check if nothing has popped up to your site/course files...

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Mauno,

Thanks for taking an interest in the current Fire_bug version 1.3 problem... Here is a full description of what happens in my FireFox (version 3.0.6) with Fire_bug version 1.3 installed (running on Windows XP).

See attached screenshots which illustrate the process.

Please note that I am experiencing the problem within Moodle courses, not when downloading files on the Web in general.

In one of my moodle courses (local install, but the problem also occurs on distant moodle sites) I go to Files and try to donwload a file which I have previously uploaded there. Small files usually download OK. So I try with a large file, eg HotPotsWorkshops.zip (27.5 Mo).

#1 The download manager popup window appears and shows download progress, which halts at 25.7 with message "A few seconds remaining". Nothing happens, so #2 I click the Cancel (Annuler) button and immediately after #3 I click the Try again (Réessayer) button. The download quickly resumes and finishes OK.

I have tried your suggestion of increasing dommaxscriptruntime from its original value: 10 to value:100. Things get worse (see screenshot 4: now the downloading process halts even earlier than with old value of 10... (#4)

#5 Then I tried to download another large file, a flash .FLV file. This time the download process does not even start, it freezes on Starting (Démarrage) message. However, clicking the Cancel then the Resume buttons enables the download process to work OK.

If someone a) experiences the same problem and b) can understand it and provide a solution, it would be nice. In the meantime I'll take Mauno's advice and have a cup glass of tea whisky to drown the bug.evil

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -
Just as I was posting my previous message I got a FireFox notice that FireBug version 1.3.2 was available. I upgraded from 1.3.0 to 1.3.2 and ... the problem is still there. Unfortunately I do not know how to report the bug to the Firebug people, as I am not sure how moodle itself is involved in the bug...
Joseph

by Mauno Korpelainen -
One more idea - maybe you have some conflict between 2 different plugins or addons of firefox... In addition to Firebug I have in Firefox McAfee SiteAdvisor (as a part of McAfee Virus scanner), Shazou 2.1, Web Developer 1.1.6 + Adobe Acrobat, Google Update, Java SE 6 U11, QuickTime 7.6, Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12 & Silverlight 2.0.31005.0

by Joseph Rézeau -
My addons:
Attachment image00.jpg

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Have you tried to disable or remove Adblock Plus.

Google and "Adblock crash" or "Adblock freeze" give some examples and it might explain why my Firefox does not freeze...

by Joseph Rézeau -
Have you tried to disable or remove Adblock Plus.
yes, but it does not change the problem

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Strange... I have the same version of firefox (3.0.6) , same version of Firebug (1.3.2 downloaded today) and everything works in different versions of moodle - maybe it is some conflict between more than one plugin (not only Firebug), somehow different environment or some (file) naming conflict?

I could test it with local PC instead of my test server - and if I can reproduce this I could take a cup glass too...wink

Edit: I have Vista instead of XP but that should not matter...

by Brian Jorgensen -
I have three questions for everyone who is having trouble downloading:

1. What version(s) of Moodle are you using?
  2. On what OS is it installed?
  3. What version of IIS or Apache are you using?

Thanks,

Brian
In reply to Brian Jorgensen

by Brian Jorgensen -
Sorry, please skip this. I thought we may be seeing a browser-independent report, but it looks like it may be another Firefox/plugin issue.

Brian