We are facing problem in refunding the tuition fee to the students.When we click on refund it says Error: The transaction was not found.
Anybody have any idea to resolve this issue.
Someone else mentioned it too here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=109981
Yes, we had this issue a few months ago. Everything was working fine. We were accepting payments without the "review" feature turned on. We then decided to use the "review" process and this is when the problem started. We turned it back off, but the problem remained. Although the transactions were being received just fine on the Auth.net side, they were all being recorded with the same transactionID in the moodle database. If we manually corrected the transactionID in the database then the refund was possible.
We ended up reinstalling the Auth.net plug in and the problem went away.
I am author of the authorize.net enrolment plugin. 2 years ago, I had an real account; but now, I haven't a real account.
If you have an account please provide account information for test purposes. So, I can reproduce the error and fix the bug ;)
This was my first post