Suggestion to make Outcomes more useful for faculty

Suggestion to make Outcomes more useful for faculty

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
Number of replies: 1

I see where Outcomes can be useful to accreditors/administrators who are tracking competencies, etc.  But from an individual faculty standpoint it would be very useful to be able to allocate either total points for a given item or total weight e.g., 100%, across assigned item outcomes to generate an aggregate total score.

This makes sense for situations like the one I viewed on YouTube where the outcomes were criteria for an English paper, e.g., grammar, spelling, mistakes, etc.

Applying separate, non-aggregatable scales (such as the 1 - 6 used in the example) are only anecdotally useful to the faculty member as they mentally apportion points for individual outcomes and calculate the final, total grade.

How much better/more useful it would be if the total score for an item could be pre-apportioned across associated outcomes, so that the final, total score would be automatically aggregated, e.g., grammar 25/30 + spelling 28/30 + mistakes 22/40 = total aggregated item score of 75 for an item worth 100 points. 

Best regards,

Lane Grann-Stahl

Charlotte, NC

In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

Re: Suggestion to make Outcomes more useful for faculty

by Elena Ivanova -
I second this one.
I think that Outcomes should be based not on non-numeric Scales, but on real points, therefore one may create and use a real rubric.

It is quite often for faculty to rate students on something like this:

Criteria
Excellent
Satisfactory
Unsatisfactory
Quality
Grammar
Timeline