Remove "turn editing on" button

Remove "turn editing on" button

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello,
On our moodle site the admin has created an "assistant" role which has the same capabilities as the teacher role. In my course, as teacher I want to over-ride the assistant's capabilities to prevent them from access to the "turn editing on" button. I can't find the "edit course" capability in the list of capabilities. What can I do?
TIA
Joseph
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Remove "turn editing on" button

by Mike Worth -
You will need to set an override on the manage course role. I'm not sure if you can do this, or if you will have to ask your admin to do it for you. It will be on the override permissions tab of the assign roles page

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mike,
What I need to know is the name of the capability that I have to set to "Prohibit" in roles over-ride in order to remove the "turn editing on" button. I can't find it either at site level or at course level.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Worth -
moodle/site:manageblocks and moodle/course:manageactivities should do it

Mike
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mike Worth

by Uchendu Nwachukwu -

Hi

I'm having the same desire, but somehow the "turn editing on" button doesn't disappear in moodle 3.1 when disable the capabilities moodle/site:manageblocks and moodle/course:manageactivities?

The editing mode can still be turned on, only the no new blocks and activities can be added...

Best regards

In reply to Uchendu Nwachukwu

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

In 3.1 disallow the course:update capability too.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Uchendu Nwachukwu -

Hi,

Thank you for the hint. This disables the functionality to add a new block, but the button is still visible.

Would it be possible to send me a role preset where I can check all capabilities?

In reply to Uchendu Nwachukwu

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

In my 3.1.2 site, it removes the Turn on editing button. That is the only capability I changed. 

I tested this by adding that course:update capability to the Student role. and it allowed the Student to see the Turn on editing button, and the link to that in the Course administration block, and also to do Edit settings. See the attached screen, where the the top image is the Student logged into the course. If you remove that, the student loses the button as normal. 

The last part of that image is the Site admin > Users > Permissions > Capability overview. It will show you the differences. In this snippet, it shows the Manager and Teacher have this set, and the other role have it Not set. 

Attachment screenshot_1764.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Uchendu Nwachukwu -

Thank you for the clarification and time. Somehow this still doesn't work if I just disable this capabillity for the teacher role. Maybe the button get's generated due to other capabillities too, I don't know...

However, I've no created a complete custom role with limited capabilities.