Ideas for video display

Ideas for video display

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there smile Just asking for some ideas for the best way to display a 'video showcase' in a course.
The plan is to have a sort of youtube-like section (topic 0 probably) where there will be maybe 9 thumbnails that when clicked on link to videos that can be watched full screen. Videos that the students will have made. I intend to put whatever it will be into a table, 3 by 3. So far so good. But....

We have multimedia filters turned on and I'm not going to turn them off, so if I link to actual jpgs I think I'll get the video player as well on the screen which will look all wrong
If I embed a video in each cell, then I'll get nine players coming up at various stages of loading and it will slow down the system and look bad....
If I link each jpg to a webpage into which I have embedded a video, that will work, but it is one extra step - click on jpg then click on play button to start video.
I haven't tried this but was thinking of adding videos as link to a file or website , then hyperlinking to that url. (then doing the 'unseen' trick to hide all those resources) I don't think that will show on the screen as a player; it will bring the video up in a separate player - but again you'd have to click it to start it- and I am not sure I can resize the video if I do it that way. If I embed it in a webpage I can resize it.
My 'ideal' is for people to be able to click on a thumbnail and be taken to a full screen video(at least preferably full screen) that will play automatically.
NB: we do not have ftp access rights to add any extra modules so have to make do with the standard install features!

So... if you have got this far and you understand what I am trying to get at, does anyone have any suggestions please? smile

Average of ratings: -