cloze embed question type

cloze embed question type

ó $a->name - $a->date
Number of replies: 14

Hi All,

This is my first ever Moodle.org post having been an avid lurker for quite a few years now so please be gentle Aoibh

I am trying to create a cloze exercise in which the student is given a combination of multi-choice question (which are marked / scored) and open text entry questions (which are not marked / scored).

The MC is not a problem. My problem is that I can't add a SHORTANSWER type question without specifying perimeters for correct, incorrect and score using the usual syntax.

I do not want the open text entry question to be marked but do want the answer input by the student to be visible to the tutor.

Here is what I have so far;

Question 1: Miles are a measurement of {1:MULTICHOICE:Area#Incorrect~Volume#Incorrect~=Perimeter#Correct}, and an example of when you might use miles as a measurement is  (text box created using <input type="text" name="textfield"> - obviously won't be parsed through as for scoring purposes (which is fine) or record answer input for tutor to see (which is the problem)).

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

Meán na gcomhlán: -
In reply to diane broughton

Re: cloze embed question type

ó $a->name - $a->date
Hi Diane,

Maybe instead of creating a cloze question you could just create two separate questions, first multiple-choice and then essay. This would work in the context that you're describing. Or, is there any particular reason why you're using cloze?

Cheers,
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

ó $a->name - $a->date

Thanks for your reply, Przemek Aoibh

Not this wouldn't work as it would make the quiz quite cumbersome (approx 30 questions - MC & open text).

The close embed type of question is best as it is really flexible for layout as well... if I could just get it to do a short essay or short text type of input box it would be ideal.

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Diane,

The obvious solution would be as follows:

Question 1: Miles are a measurement of {1:MULTICHOICE:Area#Incorrect~Volume#Incorrect~=Perimeter#Correct}, and an example of when you might use miles as a measurement is {0:SHORTANSWER:=*}.

In which the shortanswer question would translate as:

• score for this question = 0
  • question type: short answer
  • correct answer: accept anything as correct (that's what the =* stands for).

Unfortunately this will not work for 2 reasons:

1) the cloze/embed question type does not recognize the "0" score as "0" value; it translates it as a "1" sad

2) the length of the blank input field is not customizable and would probably be too short for the kind of response you want your students to enter;

I hope Pierre Pichet can find a solution for at least problem #1. There is no reason why any sub-question within a cloze/embed question could not be scored as zero.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for taking the time to reply Aoibh

Have changed tack slightly today as time is against me on getting this course up and running and wasn't sure that I'd get the answer I'd hoped for.

Instead I've put the activity into the database module. The responses aren't 'marked' as such but then it is a self test / introduction type activity so I think it might work okay.

Will be interested to see if anyone else comes back with a possible sollution / suggestions.

Many thanks.

Diane

ó $a->name - $a->date
"the length of the blank input field is not customizable and would probably be too short for the kind of response you want your students to enter;"
you could set the length by using a false response with a given length as
{0:SHORTANSWER:1234567890~=*}.
Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Pierre,
That's the solution I had in mind for problem #2. But there remains the problem of the unavailable zero score...
Joseph

ó $a->name - $a->date
Why do you want to set the grade to 0 ?
Because this is an essay.
Just consider to set * as a false response and 100% to a specific text.
Then the teacher will do a regrade on the total close grade following the text put by the student in the "shortanswer essay" .

Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

ó $a->name - $a->date

Pierre > Why do you want to set the grade to 0 ?

Because Diane's request was "I am trying to create a cloze exercise in which the student is given a combination of multi-choice question (which are marked / scored) and open text entry questions (which are not marked / scored)."

It should be possible to set the score of any sub-question inside a cloze question to zero, just as it is possible to do this on any other question type in a Quiz. This is how it should work (for all sub-questions, not just the SHORTANSWER sub-question type, of course):

{:SHORTANSWER:} -> no score entered -> score = 1 (default)

{0:SHORTANSWER:} -> score = 0

{1:SHORTANSWER:} -> score = 1

{2:SHORTANSWER:} -> score = 2

etc.

Joseph

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hi Joseph & Pierre,

Thanks for your responses.

This works fine apart from the fact that moodle still marks and scores the input the student puts into the text entry box - when they submit the quiz, whatever the student enters in the box results in a tick on submission and 1 point score.

(Have attached screen grab of question code and resulting question)

Ideally a submission would result in neither a tick or a cross for the text entry or d any point (score).

Thanks again for your help,

Diane

Attachment cloze.gif

ó $a->name - $a->date

Hello Diane,

It seems I am now in the exact boat you were in six months ago.  I want to create a two-part question: part 1 will be T/F (implemented as a multiple choice drop-down) and part 2 will be short essay. 

Like you, I want part 2 NOT to be graded.  That is because this is an adaptive question, whereby the student takes a 30-question T/F quiz. Then, they can improve their grade by going back into the quiz (only after 24 hours have passed) to correct their wrong answers and supply some reasoning in the short essay box(from the class readings) about why TRUE is the correct answer.  So I want Moodle to not grade part 2 either time they take the quiz.

Did you ever get a satisfactory resolution to this?

Thank you!
Janet

In reply to Janet DiVincenzo

ó $a->name - $a->date

This is exactly what I'm lookign for. I want to create a multichoice question and then a short essay with something like "Explain your choice". Is that possible?

In reply to Francisco Lara

ó $a->name - $a->date

Did anyone find a solution for this?

We need embeded essay questions.

In reply to ahmad hamwi

ó $a->name - $a->date
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You could try this:

Organise the quiz with two questions on each page. First the real question, then the Essay question where the student can explain their reasoning.