multiple due dates?

multiple due dates?

by Becky Morton -
Number of replies: 2
One of our programs wants to have assignments due 30 days from enrollment in a self-paced class. The only problem is that students can enroll at any time. So one student may enroll Jan 12 and the first assignment is due February 9th, while another may enroll February 2nd and the first assignment is due March 2nd.

Is there any way to do this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Becky Morton

Re: multiple due dates?

by ben reynolds -
Hi Becky,
Not to nit pick, but that's not "self-paced" unless the students are choosing the due date. (My organization is the grandaddy of self-paced/individually-paced math courses, in person and at a distance.)

You've got rolling admission.

I don't think the assignment activity can manage to change dates on a rolling basis. Experts, what do you say?

It looks like you are planning to have a due date essentially one month after enrollment. Is that true for all assignments? 30 days apart?

If so, and if immediate response isn't an issue, the wiser way to go (IMHO) is to say, "You enrolled on the 12th, so all your assignments are due by the 12th of each month. You enrolled on the 2nd, so all your assignments are due on the 2nd of each month."

Unless your enrollment is huge, your instructor can take care of whether the work is in on time.

Unless you are promising instant feedback, whether the 12th falls on a workday or a weekend doesn't make any difference. And, the mnemonic value of same day every month is what will make the schedule work from the student end.
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: multiple due dates?

by Becky Morton -
We're still relatively new to Moodle, so it doesn't surprise me that I'm still working on the correct vocabulary. It's good to know the difference between "rolling admission" and "self-paced". Thanks!

No, the assignments aren't all 30 days apart, unfortunately. But I will see what I can convince the instructor to do to make the due dates easy to remember, since your solution makes sense.