Can Moodle do this?

Re: Can Moodle do this?

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 0

When I studied Psychology in the 70s, we also got a kind of inventors-course, forgot the reason.
(Have to find literature about that again.... anybody?)

One of the tricks I remember is to put the activities upside-down:

I would like to call this from now on: "Do the Moodle"
(with an illustration of the French Moodle)

During the design of a course I advice people to play this game:

Teachers makes questions, student gives answers becomes...
Teacher collects information, students comment on it, becomes...
Teacher makes a glossary for the course, students read...
And now you...

Now to your question:
First a disclaimer: I try not to insult you, just rethink and then choose or reject the next thoughtssmile

• First teach a module in a course, then do the test
  • Why not: first do the test, and if you fail (or choose it voluntarily!) you do the course with higher motivation...

I myself was a computer-control-freak, designing CBT since 1980 when I bought my first Tandy model I.
Hell of a job until we rediscovered (took me until 1997!) that there is also intelligence on the otherside of the screen: not inside the computer but right in front of it... Yes the students.

Give him/her a learning-setting where they can take control over their own learning (not only give them choices, but also show the consequences of these choices..) ....you will be suprised.

Then remember how you behaved as a student, or even better: your roommate?
Students nowadays are not basically different, keep that in mind: They just discover a new life..., oops forgot the assignment.. Can't you remember that situation? 

So help them to organise their learning-life with Moodles, please look again at moodle in that way:

• Just organise the activities in the boxes and show them their progress against the timetable of the course... 

I hope that workshop, exercises and other new activities will grow in this direction:

• exercises bcome more and more self-tests
  • (Martin can you tell a bit more about your self-reflection-tools?)
  • workshop will give the possiblity to setup - as a student - your own mini-workflow (4/5 steps) for a bigger task with your own milstones, etc..
  • more and more open assignments will appear in Moodles, but also assignments with fair grading-tools (the Rubrics-scales?)

And now a last "teaser":
Why close all these modules until..., do you fear that students work to hard?
How do you this with your books?
Do you cut out the pages and give them the pages one by one?
Why not, what is the difference?

Greetings, and please give me a link to your website as "visiting teacher", could inspire me, because closed exercises and clever forced flows are NOT always the wrong choice.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)