- I stupidly(? actually seemed pretty logical to me ;) copied the moodle files off my test site!
- The installed database from a sql dump was just plain bad!
- Finally by following these steps I managed to get it all working:
- FTP'd clean moodle files from unzipped folder (several times)
- deleted all moodle cookies
- restarted browser (several times)
- opened up mysqladmin on test machine and site and compared db table sizes line by line
- 7 of the tables were different so I dumped, exported and imported those one by one.
This has been so ridiculously difficult I thought it would be worth listing the fixes in the hope that this might save the next person some time. It boils down to most of the problems stemming from the database.