Random quiz performance problem?

Random quiz performance problem?

by Per Bressendorff -
Number of replies: 2
My hosting service complains of large CPU loads which peaks to almost 60% of the server CPU times. I think it coincides with users taking a test which generate 100 random questions out of a bank of 150 questions. When the quiz shows up on the student screen it takes 3 - 4 minutes before the "loading page" text at the bottom of the browser stops.

Do you know if generating such a large quiz with random questions has a negative effect on the server CPU load? And if so, any suggestions at how to avoid this?

Rgds
Per
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Per Bressendorff

Re: Random quiz performance problem?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It should not be that bad - how many simultaneous users do you have? However, yes, this will make the server work quite hard.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Random quiz performance problem?

by Per Bressendorff -
Only myself testing it at the moment. I have however now said that I only want 10 questions per page, as I read in another thread that doing so would break down the load as it will then only randomise and load the questions 10 at a time. I am crossing my fingers. I will not have more than 10 - 15 users signed on to the course at a time, and they will not all be taking the quizz at the same time.
Rgds
Per