glossary with "separate group mode" needed

glossary with "separate group mode" needed

by Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,
I would like to use the glossary as a means for students to document what they have learned. As the groups within a course are competitors, I would like to set a group mode ("separate groups") to it.
Is there any way to do this (or a workaround)?
Thanks for help,
Gerhilde
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart

Re: glossary with "separate group mode" needed

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Groups don't work with Glossaries. I see two options.
  1. Edit groupings and create a grouping for each group. Create a separate Glossary for each grouping and add the glossary exclusive to the grouping.
  2. Use the database and create two fields for headline and text. Set the database up for separte groups.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Mark Pearson -
Ralf,
What do you mean by "grouping"? How does this differ from a group? Personally, I think that this would be the way to go here if I could suss out the 'groupings' deal.

The other useful feature of glossaries is the 'category' feature. This means that you can have students add material to a single glossary throughout the course by adding categories and having students label glossary entries with the appropriate category. A neat and tidy solution.

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

groupings are a new functionality. You have to enable it first in the website administration. Groupings are a level on top of groups. You can use groupings to add a resource or an activity exclusive to a grouping. Other groupings can't see them.

The concept is like this:

a student is member of group
group is member|part of groupings

In activity|resource settings you have an additional option for groupings.

I think categories in glossaries don't work in this situation. You can't hide a category for special groups in the course.

Ralf
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Judy Hsu -

OK it's now almost year 2014 and I just found this thread when I'm trying to solve this problem to use "separate group" mode with Glossary.

We are running Moodle 2.4.6. Is there any most recent update on this topic about how to make "separate group" work with Glossary mode? We tried the "groupings" as mentioned in here, but (1) I can't find any site administration level settings when I do a keyword search with keyword "groupings" (only came up with "Version 1 import" which I don't even know what that is). So I'm assuming that the "groupings" should be enabled by default in Moodle 2.4.6. Now, if this is enabled, I wonder why there is no such setting at the Glossary level for me to choose "Groupings." I do have groupings set up at the course level, but couldn't find related setting in the Glossary level. Any idea? Thanks!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Judy Hsu

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Judy,

Home ► Site administration ► Development ► Experimental ► Experimental settings

Enable group members only Default: No -> Yes

Joseph