Opening flv in new window

Opening flv in new window

by Kurt Miyashiro -
Number of replies: 7
When using Moodle's "compose a webpage", I cannot get links to flv files to open in a new window. I can get links to youtube pages to open in a new window, but not links to flv files I've uploaded to my files folder within moodle. Should this be possible?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kurt Miyashiro

Re: Opening flv in new window

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes it should be perfectly possible. How are you doing it? You say you are using 'compose a webpage' Are you just hyperlinking text to the flv file on a webpage? In which case when you click on the chain you should choose target=new window. Does this not work? Do you want the flv file to play in a player actually ON the webpage?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kurt Miyashiro -
Dear Mary Cooch,

Thanks so much for responding. I am simply highlighting text, then clicking on the "link" icon ("insert web link"). I do use target=new window. The web page has all the text, and an embedded video which plays fine; I can't get the video to open on a new page. My real problem is that I have to wait for the entire video to stream before I can begin watching the next video on the page.

Is there a setting our moodle administrator has to adjust for the video player to open up in a new window? Thanks for any help or advice.

Kurt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there
I am not sure we understand each other here -but let's try smile
Do you want to have a text link to a video and you want people to click on that link and the video to open up in a new window?
And do you have a page with several similar links on to other videos?

I think possibly your Moodle admin has the multimedia plugin filters enabled and so whenever you link to a video in the way you have done, you will automatically get a player embedded on the actual page.
If you want to do what you want - you could try asking them to disable the flv filter- and then try your method and see if it will open your link in a new window.
Or you could use the Add a Resource>link to a file or website option and link to your video there - I think that should open it in a new window without an embedded player.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kurt Miyashiro -
To clarify: I want the flv file to play in a player on a new webpage, not on the original page as it currently does for me.

by Mary Cooch -
I see now - do you think either of my ideas above would suit you then?

by Ruben Fonseca -
Kurt,
I do not think that linking directly to the flv will work. The user will be prompted to download the flv instead of playing it because there is no player automatically embedded. The browser will not know what to do with the file, and so prompts the user to save the file locally.
How about this: Create a web page in moodle for each video you will be using and embed them there. You could create the pages and place anywhere feasible on your course site. Then, in the webpage where you want the videos to open in a new window, create links to the specific web pages you have created to house the videos.
A couple of hoops to jump through unfortunately. If you don't care that users can download your videos, an alternative would be to require the users to have a flv player installed on their local computer. They would download your videos and play them locally.

--Ruben
In reply to Ruben Fonseca

by Mary Cooch -
If you have multimedia filters (flv) enabled and use Add a resource> link to a file or website the flv will come up in Moodle's player and will do as you wish. However,I agree with Rueben that I personally would (indeed, I have!) put them all in webpages and then link to those webpages in one other webpage.