Using html editor to write MC question

Using html editor to write MC question

by Vicke Denniston -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Testers
I have searched using every possible combination I can think of, but is there anyway to get an html editor in the question field for a MC question. I heard that it was possible, but didn't take good enough notes. I think it would make writing complex questions a little easier, both for myself and faculty. I know you can put in html tags, but it's tough to enter in one little tiny text block.
I am using 1.92
Thanks
Vicke Denniston
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vicke Denniston

Re: Using html editor to write MC question

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
MC - do you mean multiple choice? When you say question field , do you mean where it says 'question name'? Because I get the html editor just fine in the actual question text area -using Firefox or IE. With Safari or Chrome I believe you don't.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers
You are right, it is there,
That'll teach me to pay a little better attention to what I am asking, I meant the answer field.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Vicke,
As it is, the MCQ question editing screen is already "cluttered" with about 10 HTML editors, which means the whole thing takes up 3 screens (in Moodle 2.0). Please let's have less HTML editor windows, not more!
If you must have HTML formatting in your MCQ answers text (and I admit it can be quite useful) then there is a simple workaround. Type your answer text in the next available Feedback HTML editor, in WYSIWYG mode, switch to HTML code view, copy and paste the code into your answer text box. Unfortunately those answer boxes are really short, I don't know why they don't spread the whole length of the questions editing window.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers
I can understand not wanting to see so many boxes, it is an annoyance and it would be really helpful to be able to set the default number of choices on a MC question to 4 or 5, but the workaround, which I have used, is somewhat cumbersome, and really confusing to faculty.
If we have to stick to a workaround, it's actually easier to type the answer in html using TextEdit or equiv. and then copy and paste. But that would be even harder to teach faculty, and as soon as I started talking about using html code, people would break out in hives.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Vicke > as soon as I started talking about using html code, people would break out in hives...

Yes, I know this scenario.wink