MathML plans for Moodle?

MathML plans for Moodle?

by Andreas Leiser -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I would like to know, if there are any plans for MathML in future Moodle releases? I surfed the postings a bit and could not find any hints on this.

Thanks
Andreas Leiser
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andreas Leiser

Re: MathML plans for Moodle?

by Marc Grober -
Actually there has been quite a bit of discussion, though it was likely difficult to identify in that the discussion has been over inclusion of dragmath and asciimathml as core tech in Moodle 2 and you can vote for either or both in the tracker...... so please do.
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-384
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16279

At present Mauno has a number of options he has been working on for integrating Moodle 2 and tinyMCE with an assortment of math construction and display technologies that include asciimathml, dragmath equations editors, etc. (I have dubbed this the super equation editor intiative) and can allow use of asciimathml through themes as opposed to deploying it as a filter. I think this is the best hope at present for an easily deployable and manageable way to provide moodle wide display of MathML, and I only wish that it would be implemented at Moodle.org VOTE HERE: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE-599

There area number of issues that have to be addressed - from avoiding what one might call balkanization of code if too many versions are extant to what questions implementing asciimathml through themes pose for Moodle's functionality generally and what would/could implementation of asciimathml mean vis-a-vis other existing filters and the decisions are not in our hands, but I think the more people who support this effort the more likely it is that it will be a go.....

While I had hoped that some of the functionality initially demo'd by Mauno would be not only included in a Moodle 1.9.x pre 2.0 release, core developers have agreed to consider dragmath and asciimathml as core tech in Moodle 2.0 (little steps like creating a common directory move such matters a bit at a time) and where as it might be easy enough to just drop them in, arguably there should be some thought given to the most appropriate way to integrate the technologies and I am hoping that we are at that phase; i.e. agreement that this is doable, but consideration of exactly how and when to do it.....

In any case, please check the tracker items provided above, subscribe to them (i.e. "watch" them), vote for them, and post your comments.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The OU has a nice Moodle filter for rendering MathML content. By default, it renders to image files, like the LaTeX filter, but if you click on an equation, it takes you to a page where you can test your browser, and if it works, choose to get MathML served directly. This relies on a separate Java servlet to do the MathML -> image rendering. It also serves the MathML is a way that works with both Firefox and IE + mathplayer.

I don't know if that filter is in the modules and plugins database yet.

by Ramon Eixarch -
hi Andreas,

the equation editor included in Moodle through WIRIS math plugin is based on MathML. If you are editing a formula and press Control+Shift+X you will be able to edit the MathML code.

There is also a new integration with TinyMCE that will be usefull in Moodle 2.0.
Check WIRIS Tiny MCE integration and have a look at a demo.