assesments of workshops without deadlines --- reflection of results?

assesments of workshops without deadlines --- reflection of results?

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Number of replies: 3
This may be a long post, because I need to explain how we are planning to use Moodle. Please bear with me.
I have been asked by a NGO to create Moodle courses from content I have helped them create. We do not have any full time, formal teachers but rather a (small) group of volunteers that will help with student queries and asessments.
This is why the workshop module was so apealing-- it would allow for peer assessments.
My problem now lies with the limitations the different phases of the workshop module puts on us.
At the moment I am planning to leave the workshops in phase 3--- meaning students would always be able to post and assess projects. But when do they receive the results?

The other option is to periodically move the workshop into phase 6 and then move it back to phase 3 a week or so later.

1. What is the consequences of leaving it in phase 3 all the time --- ditto for the jumping between phase 3 and 6 every 6 or 7 weeks ???

2. If you have a course that is available to the public on the www, how do you handle issues that result from not having structured start and end dates for courses?

I do not think we will have such a large potential user base that we could have duplicated courses that run at monthy intervals of each other (hopefully later smile )

Riaan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

Re: assesments of workshops without deadlines --- reflection of results?

by Ray Kingdon -
Riaan, It's a good question. The Workshop module is really designed to take a cohort of students through a peer-assessed assignment. By its nature, the peer assessment should ideally be done by the same group of students that submitted the work. There's nothing to stop you switching the module from phase 3 to 5/6 and back again. In phase 3 students will see the submissions which have been assessed the least number of times. So it's likely that they will see the work from their own cohort. It's a matter of trying it and see how well it works in practise.  
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
I have decided to go ahead and test it. I will keep you posted.
 I would be interested to here from other people who have more "unstructured" use of their moodle sites (this impacts on a lot of the modules where there is some sort of deadline or handin date attached to the module).

I have not spent a lot of time looking at groups yet, is it theoretically possible to set up quizzes/workshops/assignments etc for groups with different deadlines?

Is this what the Social format was supposed to be / become?
Riaan
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

by Ray Kingdon -
Ah, groups, the Workshop module currently doesn't understand groups. I'm updating it at the moment so that it does. Groups basically only filter the students in a class. Things like deadlines are not (will never be?) group specific.

I'll post something in this forum when the workshop module has been updated.