What happens with a regrade to manually changed marks?

What happens with a regrade to manually changed marks?

par N Hansen,
Nombre de réponses : 2
A thought just popped into my head and I am wondering how Moodle handles this situation. If a quiz is automatically graded, and say a student gets a particular short answer question wrong and gets a 0 on it, but for whatever reason, the teacher manually overrides the grade on that student's question so that it is 5 rather than 0. Then for any reason, the teacher runs a regrade on the entire exam, although they make no changes to the particular item in question before the regrade is done. After the regrade, what score will the student have on that question? Will it be a 5 as the teacher assigned, or will it revert to the 0 that was automatically given? If the latter, wouldn't that be a bug?
Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à N Hansen

Re: What happens with a regrade to manually changed marks?

par Joseph Rézeau,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

Just tested this on my local moodle 1.8.7 install with the following scenario.

Questions A and B are originally worth 1 point each.

1. In the quiz, student John got 0 out of 1 for question A and 0.5/1 for question B.
  2. Teacher overrides the mark for question A and sets it to 0.5.
  3. Then teacher edits Questions A and B and counts each of them for 2 points.
  4. Then teacher regrades the whole Quiz.
  5. John's score for Question A is now worth 0.5 out of 2. This is questionnable.
  6. His score for Question B is now 1 out of 2. This is OK.

Conclusion.- Scores which have been manually over-ridden do not change (i.e. they keep their over-ridden value) when a Quiz is regraded. This behavior may be considered correct or incorrect depending on your point of view. I would hold the view that it is incorrect because, if a teacher decides to over-ride a score on an individual question and changes e.g. 0/1 to 0.5/1 it means that he deems that the response was worth half the points. If the score awarded to that same question is later on changed from 1 to 2 and the quiz is regraded, teacher would expect the final score for that question to keep the "half marks awarded" value when overridden, so it should be regraded to 1 out of 2.

Joseph

Moyenne des évaluations Useful (1)
En réponse à Joseph Rézeau

Re: What happens with a regrade to manually changed marks?

par Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers
Joseph, you are right that 0.5/1 really ought to change to 1.0/2 if you regrade. However, because of the way this data is stored in the database, it is almost impossible to fix at the moment. Please file a bug in the tracker. I am currently collecting evidence to justify some changes I want to make clin d’œil