Are email subscriptions also group-specific?

Are email subscriptions also group-specific?

by George Kao -
Number of replies: 3

I have set up a forum called Group-specific forum using "separate groups", and there are 4 groups: Faculty & Staff; Cohort 1; Cohort 2; Cohort 3.

Today, someone in the Faculty & Staff group informed me that she has been getting email messages from postings in the Cohort 1 group!

Is that supposed to happen?  I thought email subscriptions would be group-specific as well?

Thanks for clarifying.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Kao

Re: Are email subscriptions also group-specific?

by George Kao -

Yes, George, they are.

The reason those particular faculty/staff members is getting the student Cohort emails is because you set them up as Administrators.  Admins can see all group messages even if they are separate (private) groups.

You can either remove their admin privileges, or create separate forums for each group and trust the admins will not enter those forums to which they don't belong.

Hope that helps,
Me

In reply to George Kao

Re: Are email subscriptions also group-specific?

by David Lamotte -

I have also been having problems with group emails, but this concerns students only.

I had a forum set up as "Seperate Groups" and was getting complaints about the level of irrelevant emails.  When I investigated I found that students were reciveing mail from other groups, even though they couldn't view the posts online.

Following this I upgraded to 1.3.3 from 1.3.1 as there was mention of eMail fixes - but still the emails flowed.

To confirm the problem, I asked a student from 2 of the groups to post a 'testing' message and required the students to complete a survey confirming if they had receved the test message - all students responded that they had.

Also, you suggest "creating seperate forums for each group" but how can this be enforced as all students will see all forums and can enter as they like.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
David

In reply to David Lamotte

Creating Separate Forums for Each Group

by George Kao -
Hi David,

Have you upgraded to 1.4?  It might solve the problem you mentioned above.

Also, regarding creating separate forums for each group.  Even though all students will be able to enter all forums, they can only see the messages of that forum if they are within that group.  Does that make sense?  They can enter the forum, yes, but they won't be able to see any messages.

Hope that helps.

~ George