Suggestion for a new capability

Suggestion for a new capability

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have been asked (MDL-14926) to implement a separate capability to let students review their old attempts, separate from the ability to attempt the quiz.

I know that you can already have a quiz that students can not longer attempt, but where they can review, just by closing the quiz and having appropriate review options. However, that does not really satisfy the requirement behind this request.

What the OU wants to do is: some time after then end of the course, take everyone with the 'Student role', take that role away, and give them a new role 'Student (read only)'. This lets students have read-only access to the work they have done in courses they have completed, without the ability to change anything any more.

This seems like a sensible idea, and the quiz is one of the few areas where it does not yet work - hence the idea for a new capabiltiy. I just wanted to give people here a chance to review the idea before I implemented it.

Note that all the existing settings that control when a student may review a quiz, and what they can see when they do, will remain unchanged. If a student has mod/quiz:attempt, but not the new review capability, I think I will still let them reveiw 'immediately after the attempt', but not at other times. To meet the OU requirements, the plan is to implement this in Moodle 1.9 as well as Moodle 2.0.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Suggestion for a new capability

by Pierre Pichet -
"some time after then end of the course, take everyone with the 'Student role', take that role away, and give them a new role 'Student (read only)'."

However if I have a course that just follow ( one week later) I will have to set a copy of the course instead of just reusing the same course for the new student enrollment as we do at UQAM.

Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
At the OU, we always use the 'Backup the course without user data, and make a copy by restoring as a new course' approach to rolling a course forwards from one presentation to the next. We like to keep a separate archive of what happened in each presentation for a period of time.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
This is what I presume, I will discuss with UQAM moodle staff about "archivistic" feature like used at OU.
Otherwise your project is OK.
Pierre

P.S. At UQAM we use another interface than moodle as official grading report but the student have only the grading.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
There is now a patch for this on MDL-14926. However, I have not had much time to test it, and I am on holiday for the rest of this week, so I am not going to commit it yet. I want to test it some more first.

If anyone is interested enough to test it, or review the code, naturally that would be great.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
I won't be able to review the patch I'm afraid but there is an important point that's not been raised so far in this discussion i.e. how will this be used by teachers?

Will it depend upon a role override or will there be an setting for the quiz. As many teachers won't be allowed access to overrides ("safe" or otherwise) this (excellent) new option will go to waste. Having an option that is role specific somewhat compromises the roles interface logic i.e. that's where you go to configure permissions....