1.9.2 Class won't restore - hangs up at Creating/Copying HELP!!

1.9.2 Class won't restore - hangs up at Creating/Copying HELP!!

by Linnea Hannigan -
Number of replies: 8

Please, I am desperate for help. I designed a class, zipped it, sent it to the client, and it won't restore.  It is designed on 1.9.2 and the client has 1.9.3.

I have tried to do a test run to restore it on my own moodle, and it won't.

I get to the point below and it just stops and nothing happens.  It says that restoring can take a long time,but how long? And how do you know if it has stopped or is still working? 

You are here

Course restore: backup-bw_1_for_esl-20081211-1616.zip

• Creating new course
    • Business Writing 1 for ESL copy 5 (BW 1 for ESL_5)
    • Category: Miscellaneous
  • Creating the Restorelog.html in the course backup folder
  • Creating users
    No users were found!
  • Creating groups
  • Creating sections
  • Creating categories and questions
  • Copying course files. . . . . . . . . .
    • Files/folders: 20
  • Copying site files used in course
  • Creating scales
  • Creating events
  • Creating course modules

From here it is just stopped. 

This is the first time this has ever happened to me.  All the other courses I did on 1.8 worked fine. Zip up, unzip.  I am so helpless and my client is very angry...I told him Moodle was "easy" to use...my bad...

Anyone who can help, I'd be forever grateful.

Linnea

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Linnea Hannigan

Re: 1.9.2 Class won't restore - hangs up at Creating/Copying HELP!!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The first thing to try is to get the person doing the restore to turn on Debugging to see if you can get a more specific error message.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Linnea Hannigan -

How, where, do I do that...I'm so sorry to bother you Tim. I got into Moodle thinking it was going to be easy and friendly. I didn't realize that so much computer savvy was needed, and now it is too late to back out.

I really, really, appreciate your help so much. Please know that I don't take it for granted.

Linnea

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm sorry, I was assuming that the documentation page I linked to would contain clear instructions. I does now, I just edited it:

Go into the admin screens, and look under Administration > Server > Debugging. Set the Debug messages to ALL, and Display debug messages to Yes.

Once you have got the error message, and copied and pasted it somewhere, you are recommended to turn debugging back off again.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Linnea Hannigan -

Tim,

I activated the Debugging thing and this is what I get now - the fatal error is at the bottom of the page. 

Thanks for your neverending patience,

Linnea

• Creating new course
    • Business Writing 1 for ESL copy 7 (BW 1 for ESL_7)
    • Category: Miscellaneous
  • Creating the Restorelog.html in the course backup folder
  • Creating users
    No users were found!
  • Creating groups
  • Creating sections
  • Creating categories and questions
  • Copying user files
  • Copying course files. . . . . . . . . .
    • Files/folders: 20
  • Copying site files used in course
  • Creating scales
  • Creating events
  • Creating course modules
    Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 45088768) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/thegramm/public_html/class/lib/xmlize.php on line 137

by Tim Hunt -
Hmm. Another not very friendly to novices docs page I'm afraid: Errors_FAQ#Fatal_error_allowed_memory_size_exhausted._How_do_I_increase_my_php_memory_limit.3F.

Anyway, at this point, you probably need to go an talk to whoever runs that web site and ask them to allow Moodle to use more memory.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Linnea Hannigan -

Tim,

I run the moodle page. It is on my husband's server.  He is a web designer.  When I took a certification program for teaching English as a Second Language online, Moodle was recommended as being "user friendly" and "easy"...  I didn't know any better, and now I am stuck with it - I know you must really like it, but I have never been so frustrated in my life with a computer program - it is a never ending battle to make classes work.  I just thank the good Lord that this support board exists, as I would have thrown in the towel long ago if it didn't.  Sorry to say the above, but sometimes I think that the developers forget that the world isn't populated by IT people wink  I know that the fact Moodle is free program is a great gift, and I appreciate it, I just wish it were more user friendly.

Luckily, my client does know what he is doing and he figured it all out and made his server give him more space and he was able to restore the class to his shell. As for me, what do I do?  How do I get into the php.ini ? is this from the cpanel, or do I have to get my husband to go into the server stuff and change something - he is a designer, not a developer. We installed Moodle with "Fantastico".

Is there some easy (I am laughing at what I just said LOL) way to do this?

If you have instructions, bring 'em on, and I'll find someone who can help me.

Thanks Tim,

Linnea

by Tim Hunt -
Well, the problem we have as developers is that at one extreme, we have users who keep demanding more and more control over every aspect of of how Moodle behaves, and at the other extreme we have people demanding that we keep it simple.

Of course, both extremes are right, but it is just very difficult for us developers to satisfy both at once.

Oh, and there is a third important dimension, that makes things even harder: Security. Moodle sits there on the Internet, exposed to any malicious person who wants to try to hack it. We have to prevent that, while causing only minimal inconvenience to legitimate users.

In terms of 'easy to use', I think we can legitimately split users into three groups.

Students. I like what Niall Sclater said in relation to the OU's VLE: "If you can buy a book on Amazon, you should be able to study a course in [Moodle]." And I think we largely succeed on that score.

Teachers. This is a more diverse group, with more of the spread on the simplicity <-> control spectrum. I think we do OK here, with some notable exceptions, like the gradebook and some of the roles stuff. That was biassed too much towards to people who wanted control and lots of features, at the expense of people who wanted simplicity. We have got that message loud and clear from a number of sources, and we are improving matters for Moodle 2.0.

Administrators. This is by far the most diverse group, ranging from teams of professional system administrators in some universities and hosting companies, to teachers like yourself who just want to run their own Moodle. That is just an awesome range of skill-sets to have to cater to.

I will say that the individual teacher running their own private Moodle has always been an important part of the Moodle community. Indeed, if you go and look at the system architecture document for Moodle, you will see that 'easy to install, learn and modify' is given high prominence. By the way, that architecture document confuses a lot of developers coming to Moodle for the first time, because that is not the sort of thing they expect to be told on a software architecture page.

Hmm. I seem to be doing everything other than answering your question here. I may get to the point eventually.

Another complexity is the number of other components that Moodle relies on. In a simple case like MS Word, running on your computer, there are just two pieces involved, the Word application, and the Windows operating system.

Moodle as an application relies on 4 other components. There is the PHP interpreter that executes the code; PHP itself runs in a web server; Moodle needs to connect to a database that stores the data; and all that runs on an operating system.

And different people want to be able to choose different components there. They want to use either Apache/IIS/lighthttpd/... as a web server, MySQL/Postgres/MS SQL server/Oracle/... as a database. And they want to be able to run on Linux/Windows/Mac OS/BSD/.... It sometimes amazes me that it works at all wink but most of the time it does.

The thing Fantastico does (or at least tries to do) is to set all 5 bits up for you and get them talking to each other.

I really am getting to the point now. I promise.

Now, at least 4 of those components (Operating system, Web server, PHP and Moodle) share responsible for ensuring that everything is secure.

One of the ways that a malicious people out there on the internet can damage your Moodle site is what is known as a 'Denial of service' attack. That is, they overload your system until it runs out of something, for example memory, and crashes.

So to combat this, PHP limits the amount of memory it uses to process any one request, according to rules that get handed to it by the operating system or web server. Now, when you are doing something that involves processing large amounts of data, Moodle does try to tell PHP "Hey, look, I am about to need lots of memory here, it's OK", but depending on the rules PHP has been told to obey, it may or may not be allowed to respond.

In particular, it looks like on your husband's server, PHP have been given a hard limit of about 45MB. In an ideal world, Fantastico might know that Moodle sometimes needs more than this, and not set things up that way. However ...

So, anyway, I hope all that rambling explains something about why problems like this happen. The bad news is that I don't know anything about Fantastico, or whoever hosts your husband's web server. So I don't know specifically how to change the PHP memory limit there. Hopefully someone here does, although a lot of cheaper web hosts do not let you raise it at all.

Oh, and see Integrations#Fantastico sad
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Linnea Hannigan -

Thank you, Tim, for you detailed and kind response to my whiney protest.  I SO want to be good at "moodle" and everytime I just think I have the tiger by the tail, LOL....

I fully understand and respect the decisions of the developers, and I am forever in debt to you and those like you on the boards who surely do this out of the goodness of your hearts.

I fear the "fantastico" message at the end of the letter...with the

sad  attached - looks ominous.  I suppose I could wipe out some of my test run classes and maybe give myself some more space?  So the php.ini problem is from the server, and not the Moodle back-end then.  I was looking for it in cpanel, but I guess my husband needs to get into the server...I have my ways of coaxing him to add more memory wink  

Thankfully, the client is an IT wizard, so he just figured it all out right away and the class I sold him runs well. I'm the one left on the learning curve LOL!

Again, your detailed answer is much appreciated, and is a good lesson.  I do agree that the gradebook is too hard. I actually don't even use it because I can't figure it out.  I use a simple program that is Excel based called Gradekeeper (www.gradekeeper.com) . Maybe someday Moodle and Gradekeeper will be able to "talk".

Sincerely and humbly,

Linnea