Trouble adding multiple users to a session

Trouble adding multiple users to a session

by Adam Northenscold -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying out the face-to-face module for the first time, and after creating a session, I attempted to add attendees.  I selected 10 names from the potential users list, and clicked add.  It brought up a "page cannot be displayed", and when I clicked refresh, only 1/2 of the 10 names had been moved into the list of existing users.  The 1/2 that had been moved over appeared to be random. 

Anyone else had this problem?  Any idea of what  may be causing it? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Northenscold

Re: Trouble adding multiple users to a session

by François Marier -
Hi Adam,

I haven't seen this problem before, but here a few suggestions on what you could do to narrow the problem down a bit:

1- Turn on full debugging:

Go to Site Administration | Server | Debugging

Set "Debug Messages" to "DEVELOPER"
and "Display messages" to "Yes"

2- Try to see if the error has anything to do with particular users. You can do that by selecting only 5 students and halving the number until you find a small group of students that can be added without errors.

If you see any errors/warnings printed on the page, please post them here. It could give us clues as to what might be happening on your site.

Also, please tell us what your PHP version is just in case it has anything to do with this problem.

Cheers,
Francois
In reply to François Marier

by Adam Northenscold -

Francois

Thank you for your help.  I have now turned on the debugging messages as you instructed, nad will let you know of enything new that comes up. 

Today I was adding attendees to a session, and started at 1 user, and increased it until I was able to repeat the problem.  It added a group of 5 without any trouble, but when I attmpted to add 6 names, it brought me to "Page cannon be displayed" and upon clicking the refresh, it had only added 5 of the six names.  Again, the name that did not get added appears to be random, and I was able to add the name on own immediately following the previous sequence. 

I do get an error message every time I click on "Add ".  At the top of the screen it says:

ERROR: The following From address failed: postmaster@marconet.com :

It is a Microsoft Windows 2003 server, with Microsoft SQL 2005.  On the PHP info screen it says:

Windows NT MOODLE 5.2 build 3790

All this has me wondering:  Is face-to-face the only way to keep a record of classroom training sessions that took place on a specific date at a specific time?  It seems a bit cumbersome for such a simple task.  I absolutely see its value for when you want people to sign up for sessions, but most of our records are captured after the training has taken place. 

In reply to François Marier

by Adam Northenscold -

After turning on the debugging messages, the following appeared on the screen when I added users to a session.

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\Webs\moodle\mod\facetoface\lib.php on line 924
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\Webs\moodle\mod\facetoface\lib.php on line 924
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\Webs\moodle\mod\facetoface\lib.php on line 924

The message repeats for each person I attempt to add. 

In reply to Adam Northenscold

by Scott Karren -
I am getting the same messages in my php log. The function affected is dealing with getting a list of attendees for a session and also updating the grade records of each user. It appears that since there is no grade record for the user at this point it is producing the error. Did I get that right Francois?

Scott
In reply to Scott Karren

by François Marier -
That's quite possible.

Looking at line 924, the call that's failing is this:

foreach ($records as $record) {
$record->grade = $grading_info->items[0]->grades[$record->id]->str_grade;
}

Could you change it for this:

foreach ($records as $record) {
$item0 = $grading_info->items[0];
$recordid = $record->id;
$grade = $item0->grades[$recordid];
$record->grade = $grade->str_grade;
}

and then look for the same error message. The new line number will tell us which of these objects is empty.

Cheers,
Francois