Moodle self-paced learning demos

Moodle self-paced learning demos

by Angela Nicholas -
Number of replies: 2
My organization is looking for examples of Moodle being used to deliver a large amount of self-paced learning modules and resources while utilizing social networking features. Ultimately, we're having trouble organizing the content and features in a way that's useful for users, as Moodle doesn't seem to support much depth or flexibility in that regard. We are interested in ideas and examples of Moodle used for self-paced learning/social networking that are open for guests to explore.

Thanks,
Angela
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Nicholas

Re: Moodle self-paced learning demos

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The software Moodle is just an empty classroom. It has various media ready for use but how you use them and for what, that is the job of the teacher.

Since you mention "depth" and "self-paced" your content must already be available in conventional paper book form. If that is the case, rewriting them to fit Moodle, or web-based learing in general, is a major excersise which needs an understanding in teaching strategies on one side, handling the tools in Moodle on the other side - and not to forget the subject itself!

Since this is the Moodle forum, on that topic you can either learn from a book or learn by doing; teach a batch of students using Moodle only as an add-on.
In reply to Angela Nicholas

Re: Moodle self-paced learning demos

by Michael Penney -
Hi Angela, we've been doing a great deal of work along these lines for Cisco Systems' Entrepreneur Institute, as well as others, using the Flexpage course format (which is designed for presenting content rich structured learning paths within Moodle).

We also have an adaptive feature that we're adding in to Flexpage that will enable a 'choose your learning path', 'learning path based on learning style', etc.

You can see a guest only demo (without the discussions, quizzes, etc.) of this kind of course here:

http://ciscoinstitute.net/course/view.php?id=769&page=93133

Feel free to contact me if you would like a more in depth demonstration (contact info in my profile).