enrolment fee for a group of courses?

enrolment fee for a group of courses?

by George Roots -
Number of replies: 10
This is my first post, so I hope it is in the right place. Is there a way to one enrolment fee give access to a group of classes?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Roots

Re: enrolment fee for a group of courses?

by matthew Burford -
The easiest way to do that is to use meta courses to enroll people into a bundle of courses.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Meta_course

Which will allow you to charge for a "Feeder" course that will enroll your students into any assortment or group of "recipient" courses. It sounds confusing at first, but makes a lot more sense once you play around with it.
In reply to matthew Burford

by George Roots -
Thanks Matthew! I was worried Moodle wouldn't be able to handle this. I shall look into it now.
In reply to George Roots

by George Roots -
The information about the meta courses was obviously right on. But I do have another question. The documentation seems to be a tad incomplete. I understand in theory how it works, but not how to test it. If I have a student that signs up for a meta course, does that person then who is auto enrolled into the additional courses, have to manually go to the included courses to have access? Put a different way, if a set of single courses have a cost to them, does using being enroled in a meta course allow a student to access a course included in the creation of the meta course and bypass the enrolment fee? I really hope isnt too wordy...
In reply to George Roots

by matthew Burford -
Example... I have 3 seperate courses, they are each 29.99. I also wanted to be able to offer all three for 49.99 (as a bundle). When the user selects the bundled option, he pays the lower price (for all three) and is automatically enrolled in those three courses. The user does not have to pay the three seperate enrollment fees. All three courses show up in his "my courses" view after he logs in.I set up the inital three courses as meta courses that receive enrollments from the Purchase Bundle course. The purchase Bundle Course is actually empty and just has a summary that explains that the user is now enrolled in all three courses, and he can access them via the front page or the my courses block.

by netsparx itservices -
Hi Matthew,

I had a question, Can a student select a package of courses , with mandatory and optional courses in it?
Prices will be set on course level but the student has to select the whole category with courses in it. For instance,

Works of Shakespeare (category)

Unit 1 Romeo-Juliet (course) (compulsory) $5

Unit 2 Othello (course) ( optional) $9

clip_image004.gifclip_image004.gif

Unit 3 Hamlet (course) ( optional) $7

clip_image004.gifclip_image004.gif

Works of Shakespeare is a package of courses, and the student has choose between unit 2 and unit 3 (with checkbox-if possible).
Can you help me how this can be done?

Thanks,
Sweta
In reply to netsparx itservices

by matthew Burford -
Well There is not any specific functionality to do this within moodle that I know of. However, you could just make two package "feeder" courses, One that includes Othello, and one that includes Hamlet. I myself have had to do this to provide different "Bundled" options.

by George Roots -
Matthew,

I am having another issues. You've been a great help so far, I'm hoping you can help again! From your example of the three class. I can't seem have a test scenario where a user just wants to buy one of the classes. When I try to purchase a single course, I get the response "This course does not allow public access". Is there a way around this response?

I tried commenting out this (courses/enrol.php:
if ($course->metacourse) {
// print_header_simple();
// notice(get_string('coursenotaccessible'), "$CFG->wwwroot/index.php");
}

And it seems to work, can this hack cause any damage?

In reply to George Roots

by Tamar Bacon -
Hi George,
I'm trying to do the same thing. Have you run into any problems by commenting out that check? Also, did you hide the "bundle" course in the course list or do the students see "complete works of shakespear", "romeo and juliet", etc?

by Katrina Belcher -

Hi Matthew - what you describe here is EXACTLY what I want to do, but I cannot understand how to do it!

So I have 3 courses, and I want to offer them as a bundle, for a lower amount.

Do I:
1) go and change the 3 courses I want to add to the bundled course to "Meta" courses.

2) setup a new course as the "purchase bundle" course with no material.

3) and then??  

I tried going to the "purchase bundle" course and click on "add child course" using the admin block, but there was no child course option available.

So then I made all of the courses, including the "purchase bundle" one a meta course, and then I could see the "add child course" link. So I added all 3 courses...but then what? Because when I go to that course, it doesn't show the material for the 3 courses!

I see that you said "I set up the inital three courses as meta courses that receive enrollments from the Purchase Bundle course." - is that what I'm missing? If so - how do I do that??

I've added a couple of print screens to help show you what I'm talking about!

Help! And thank you in advance. I understand this is an old post, so I do hope it's still a valid issue! wink

Attachment ChildCoursesAdded.png
Attachment NoCoursesShown.png
In reply to Katrina Belcher

by Katrina Belcher -

Well - I finally figured it out.  All I did above worked fine.  I thought by taking those steps, it would auto-populate the courses under where it says "Topic outline" - but I realized I needed to manually add the info for that "Purchase bundle" course, and add info and links for each of the 3 courses, under each of the 3 topics.  Once I did that, it appears that was the part I was missing!

So I believe this issue is fixed.  Thanks so much!