grading dilemma

grading dilemma

by John Snow -
Number of replies: 2

this is my dilemma...

So we are a school and have several assessment standards which we would like to put on moodle. these assessments have sections. each section has a min grade to pass. I have overcome this by using several quizes linked together for each different assessment. I want to show in the grader report that once a student has passed all of the sections in one category they have passed the assessment. and if they havent passed all the sections they have failed. how can I do this?

I was trying to do it with letter grades and taking the lowest grade from the assessment however the letter grades thresholds are global and each section has a different min grade to pass.

would this be possible with outcomes?

Thank you sooooooooooooo much!

using moodle 1.9.3+

Steve

In reply to John Snow

Re: grading dilemma

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I believe your dilemma can be solved with creating grade categories and a custom grade calculation.

1. Create Grade Categories. See: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grade_categories
  2. Assign each Quiz to the appropriate grade category and assign an ID Number to each Quiz
  3. Edit the Course Grade Calculations. See: http://docs.moodle.org/en/grade/edit/tree/calculation
I am not sure if the Grade Categories are actually necessary in your case, but thought I would throw it in.

In reply to Ron Meske

Re: grading dilemma

by John Snow -

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah I have tried that and it worked well. I had it setup so that each score was either a pass or a fail and the category total was an aggregation taking the lowest score (ie if failed or not completed one section - failed the standard). However I soon realised the pass or fail mark for each section was being calculated by the global course pass mark not the individual section 'Grade to pass' setting. The grade to pass setting seems to only have an effect on the colour displayed behind the score. This would result in a score saying pass but with red behind it indicating a fail

I also tried to make a custom grade calculation but to no avail. I tried to put each mark to the power of zero (giving 1) and then multiply them together. This would give an aggregate of 1 if they had passed all and zero if they had failed any. I couldn't work out how to plug in the parameters to the power function. Im also not sure what it would do to a blank score which should be a fail.

Still trying...

Steve