Updating File in Resource

Updating File in Resource

by Dale Quattrin -
Number of replies: 2
I am using 1.8 and having problems updating a file being referenced in the resource module.
Because you evidently can not edit referenced files directly within Moodle I have a Word document that I have updated and saved to my local folder. I went clicked on the Update icon next to the reference taking me to Edit Resource and clicked on the Choose or Upload a file button. There, I selected and deleted the file I want to update (which asked me if I wanted to delete the file completely and I answered yes). Returning to the Choose or Upload a File location, I then uploaded the new updated Word file. I then went to the Link to a File or Web site location, deleted the file, then clicked Save Changes. I then returned to Edit Resource location, selected the new updated file (it having the more recent date/time stamp). It opens the file up but I STILL HAVE THE OLD VERSION!!!

What am I doing wrong? This seems very convoluted to make simple changes to a referenced file!!

Thank You
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Quattrin

Re: Updating File in Resource

by Hellmuth Sole -

Hi Dale, I'd recommend a couple of things you might want to try out.

1. Clear your cache file, or better yet, try to access the file on a different computer.  It might be that your browser is actually not trying to download the file.

2. When I change, I usually do this through FTP.  This way, I don't have to worry anything about the links themselves within moodle.

Hope this helps!

In reply to Hellmuth Sole

Re: Updating File in Resource

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you giving the new file the same name as the older version? It will work if you give it a different name. It is a cache issue, yes, but for speed of success I usually just rename an updated file.