Flashcard module add-on: import from quiz not working in Chinese (utf-8)

Flashcard module add-on: import from quiz not working in Chinese (utf-8)

by Chiu Charlie -
Number of replies: 1
I am pretty sure that it is the problem of double bytes chars. I set up another matching question only in ASCII and the import is fine. So, can anyone tell me where should I change to fix this problem?

I did see the discussion about the edit/view problem to change htmlentities to htmlspecialchars. So, where I should in the code for flashcard directory to make this happen.

Thanks

Tazus
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chiu Charlie

Re: Flashcard module add-on: import from quiz not working in Chinese (utf-8)

by Joe Burney -
To import Japanese characters (and I assume for Chinese characters as well) it is very advantageous to use OpenOffice rather than Windows products because OpenOffice was very careful to conform to the exact standards of utf-8 and other character sets. Windows, especially Excel, does not use standard utf-8 character sets, but OpenOffice Calc does. Further, OpenOffice Calc gives you full control of the parameters of the .csv format, where Excel does not. I have not tested OpenOffice Writer, but I expect it to also export properly.

I am not saying this because I dislike Windows--in fact I very much like Excel 2007. However, it is not standard, and standardization is what counts in importing.

Others report that you may need to alter the flashcard php code:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=100556