Table Of Contents

Table Of Contents

by James Phillips -
Number of replies: 12
How difficult would it be for the lesson module to display a permanent table of contents on the left hand side of the screen that could then be used to jump between parts of the lesson?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Phillips

Re: Table Of Contents

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hmmm ... I'm seeing a trend here.

SCORM ====> convergence <====  Lesson
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Table Of Contents

by James Phillips -
I believe so. The only reason I would want to use a scorm package would be to quickly put together a lesson that preferably opened in a new window without the usual moodle top-bar and that also had a TOC down the left-hand side. I have since learnt from these forums that the book module may achieve just this but I haven't looked at it yet. I think a TOC on the left is really useful because I have often found the need to bounce-back and look at something again that appeared earlier in a lesson that I did not quite get the first time. I have no idea how difficult this would be to achieve though.

It was pretty hard

by Michael Penney -
but we did itsmile (see attached).

We're cleaning up a few issues with the timer, then we'll send the code to Ray and see if he wants to include it in lesson standard.

If not (the changes from original lesson are pretty big) we'll release as its own mod.

If you'd like to see it in action, you can go here and login as guest (of course the scoring won't work). Or login as test2/test2 to see it as a student (and leave a high score if you likesmile. The lesson password is test.

In our current version, questions don't show up in the left menu as this would make our clustering code pointless. However, we're planning to add this as an option, to show questions in the left menu (right now you can choose to hide branch tables if you'd like.

Attachment lessonRLView.gif
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: It was pretty hard

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't get it ...

Doesn't this modification step around the whole unique thing about the Lesson module, which is to have a question after each page to proceed?

I'm keen to hear what Ray thinks, but perhaps this is taking the original Lesson module too far ...

by James Phillips -
IMO, for what it is worth, I think the lesson module is perfect for a University Course situation where you need to force a student through each question. However, in the case of somebody, for example, in a job where they are studying to add another skill such as programming, for example, where the person studying is probably already extremely motivated, I think this approach, in some form, would be extremely useful. I haven't had a chance to look carefully at the book module yet though, so I have no idea what kind of overlapping is going on.

Lesson/Book/SCORM page-turner overlap

by Martin Dougiamas -
I totally agree with open access to information and I think it's appropriate for all levels of education (note the push for controlled sequencing mostly comes from business and "training" enthusiasts - I'm not a fan of it myself for most learning).

But there is heaps of overlap here... this modification to Lesson is basically the same as the Book module AND the SCORM module.

The Book module was going to be included as Moodle as a new resource type called "Multipage resource" ... I hoped that would be the last "page-turner" module we have to add to Moodle but now I'm wondering if even that makes sense.

Rather than a million different ways to turn pages we should focus on standard SCORM for all this and have one module for importing/playing SCORM packages, and one module for creating SCORM packages.

Re: Lesson/Book/SCORM page-turner overlap

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice other way of handling a lesson: great "user in control perspectiv."

I would prefer to have it as a separat modul, seen from the user perspectiv..

But why heading to SCORM for book-structure-spinn-offs?

What has SCORM to say about this kind of structures? (any prescriptions?)

Why not go to DocBook/XML, especially the light version of DocBook?
(Maybe implemented in simpleXML of PHP5 with php-fill-in-forms for the simple professor?)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Ray Lawrence -
I'd assumed that the reworked lesson module could still have the question on each page if required. The ability for this to be selected randomly from a bank is of interest. Isn't this what's been done here?

by Michael Penney -
Well, this project needed to be graded, and the lesson already was graded. It might have been better to add assessment tools into book, but book wasn't part of the standard 1.2 dist we started with, didn't even find it myself until a few weeks agosmile.

Interestingly, we originally were looking at adding assessment and tracking tools to questML or build questML into an aTutor module, but found the basic lesson code so easy to build on that we went with that (and Moodlesmile.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin, most of our changes are optional. The left menu in fact also requires custom styles added to the theme.

Its funny how things look, to me the unique thing about lesson was being able to build multiple branchssmile. We use this (along with inter-branch randomization code) to build simulations.

You could use our code to built a learning object something like Myst, for instance.

Or a simple series of questions.

Or a slide show style presentation with embedded questions, with a left navigation menu for non-linear access. The questions might be clustered so the student gets a different set each time, or not.

So one use scenario is you want to have students discuss a subject, but you want them to have a certain level of knowledge about the subject first. So you put readings or pictures or audio or video or a mix into a presentation, and you put some questions in every few pages of the presentation. You give them a quiz grade for incentive & you tell them to do that before entering the discussion.

So now you have a way to know if the students experienced the material, some idea of what level of knowledge a student making a discussion post has of the material, etc.

This was all funded by a group who basically put their textbook online (along with new video and audio files), and now the 'self-assessment' questions that were static in the text are integrated into the online version.