Embedded video

Embedded video

by Kevin Cleary -
Number of replies: 2
I am using the Wiki module as a way of posting student video tests so only they and I can see those tests. I load the videos into files by grade level, have the students create their Wiki, then use the hyperlink controls to link the videos to the student's Wiki.

The problem I am encountering concerns the way videos are linked to student wikis. My videos are created on Mac as a ".mov" file, and Moodle is automatically embedding them in the body of the wiki. This creates some problems loading each wiki and presents problems if I want to place multiple videos on one wiki. It also messes up student formatting of their wiki.

I have tried a number of solutions to try to prevent video embedding, but none (at the code level and otherwise) has yet to work. Anybody have any ideas about how I can still used ".mov" files but prevent automatic embedding?

Thanks,
Kevin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Cleary

Re: Embedded video

by Frank Fulchiero -
afaik there is no way of doing this.
You can use QT Player Pro to Export your .mov to mp4, don't recompress, just "pass through" the video and audio.
iTunes can also convert .mov to m4v (same as mp4), use Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone version. But the data rate will be about 1500 kbps. Change the m4v extension to mp4, Moodle seems to like it better.
Then the href link to the mp4 will not embed the movie, it will just provide the link to the movie in same window or a new window. At least that's how it works on our install of Moodle.
Of course everything needs to be tested on Mac Safari and Firefor, and Win XP/Vista IE and Firefox, but I think it will work.
The movie needs to be fast-start, so it can start playing before fully downloading.
In reply to Frank Fulchiero

Re: Embedded video

by Kevin Cleary -
Thank you for the suggestions! I will give this a try and see if it solves my problem (particularly the suggestion to change the m4v extension).