Share resources among courses.

Share resources among courses.

by Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo -
Number of replies: 4

Hello smiley.gif  

I have read the message about the duplication of a course, but to me what I would like to be able to make is to share some elements of a course with other courses.  

It is not the same thing to have several same courses, with the same content, but with different students that to have the possibility of, for example, to use a resource in several different courses. For example, a topic that it could be shared in all the courses it could try on how to use the platform.

Does it fit some possibility that we have available this characteristic in a near future? biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Emmanuelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo

Re: Share resources among courses.

by Philip A. Thompsen -
I do something like with with symbolic links on the server. When I create multiple courses for a teacher, I first go to the "files" area of each one. This creates a numbered folder in the data directory. Then I manually replace each of those numbered folders with a symbolic link to a single "teacher" folder. In this way, no matter which class a teacher is working on, the "files" area is the same. This is great for those who teach multiple sections of the same course.
In reply to Philip A. Thompsen

by Bill Parsons -
Philip,

I just read this thread and need to do the same thing. I need to know how to create the "symbolic link" that you mention in your post. Can you help me with that? Thanks.

Bill
In reply to Bill Parsons

by Victor Cighir -
Hello Bill!

From what I understand , though I did not try this: he says that you have to alter the folder structure inside your hosting sever.

Say you create course 1, course 2, course 3, course 4 -> moodle creates 4 folders. Then you access your server and make "symbolic links" from folders 2,3,and 4, so that all of them point to folder 1. This way, when moodle shows one folder form any of your course, it will actually show you the first one, so you will have all folders in sync.
In reply to Bill Parsons

by Philip A. Thompsen -
[Since my previous post was five years old, I hope you'll excuse my rather tardy reply.]

By "symbolic link," I was referring to UNIX-style symbolic links, which can be created on most UNIX-based systems (I was doing this on Mac OS X, but I'm pretty sure it would work on most Linux variants as well). If you have direct shell access to your server, try typing "man ln" to get the man page for the ln (link) command for your particular system. Then you can find the precise syntax to use to create a symbolic link. On Mac OS X, for example, I would type...

ln -s [source dir] [target dir]

...where [source dir] was what I want to create a symbolic link to, and [target dir] is what I want to call the link target (i.e., what will point to the original source).

In this particular case, I would want the [source dir] to be the common folder for the teacher (the single folder the instructor would access across multiple courses). So I would replace the individual folders Moodle creates for each course with symbolic links to the single shared folder.

Hope this helps.