Multiple SCORM attempts always register as the first attempt.

Multiple SCORM attempts always register as the first attempt.

by Chris Sutton -
Number of replies: 7

We have our SCORM assessment objects set as 1 attempt only. 

The objects were created in SCORM 1.2 and are Flash.

However, learners are able to attempt the assessment as often as they like and the view attempts always come back as the last attempt being 1.

It is vital that they can only access the SCORM object once.

What do we need to do to achieve this?

We have all the settings in SCORM/AICC correct according to your manual and this forum.

HELP!!!!

You can see the objects at http://elearnaustralia.com.au/moodle/mod/scorm/index.php?id=25

username trainer1  password moodle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Sutton

Re: Multiple SCORM attempts always register as the first attempt.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
please upgrade your site to Moodle 1.9.3 or higher. as a large number of SCORM related fixes have been addressed.

also please check that the "grading method" is set to highest grade, and the maximum grade is set correctly. You may also want to disable preview mode.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kristian Besley -

Hi Dan,

We're actually considering dropping all our SCORM content because it just isn't reliable at all in Moodle unfortunately. We upgraded the whole site a couple of weeks ago when previously recommended because of (an apparent 400-odd) SCORM fixes, but there has been no improvement whatsoever.

So... we're starting to think it might be the SCORM code in our learning objects after all. Would anyone be up for testing a few of our objects? They work *most* of the time, but in a group of - say 20 - people, 4 of them will not register scores.

If anyone is willing to give one a go, then let me know and I'll email the object on.

Thanks,

Kris

In reply to Kristian Besley

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
hmmmm...well I think I may have closed over 400 tracker issues, - lots of duplicates, bad scorm objects, and non-bugs, but I don't think we've managed to put that many "fixes" in place - see here for the list of issues fixed in 1.9.3 (approx 50)
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL/component/10080?selected=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:component-changelog-panel

The reason I mentioned the upgrade was I noticed some error messages on your site that I'm sure are different in 1.9.3 - what exact version (including date) appears on the admin page of your site?

- also the scores in the gradebook will probably not change with an upgrade, but new attempts to the Scorm should function ok.

There are some settings in authoring your Scorm package that dictate how it should behave in Moodle - Piers has added some changes to 2.0 that allow the teacher to override these changes as part of MDL-11501 but this will not be part of 1.9Stable.

hope that helps!
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kristian Besley -

Eeek - sorry, went a bit mental with that 400-odd figure. Sorry! Classic skim reading faux-pas.

Our version is Moodle 1.9.2+ (Build: 20080917). It was a weekly build obviously.

Does this help at all?

Thanks for your help,

Kris

In reply to Kristian Besley

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Kristian,

Can you clarify which score is not being updated? Is it the one in the Gradebook or is it the one that is in the SCORM report?

I am not sure how busy your site is, but we have encountered problems with Commercial LMS's that would drop some users data. The majority of time it was the result of the server not being able to handle the number of users and it would drop connections. A few other causes are: user session timeouts, network latency, and occasionally a user exiting before the score has a chance to be recorded. Of course, there is always the possibility that it is caused by the course or the LMS.

I recently had a conversation with someone else about the number of attempts that may help you. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=108475#p484195

Ron
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Chris Sutton -

Thanks Dan - we'll try that.  It's really strange that Moodle even when the attempts are set to one, Moodle only sets the SCORM to Preview when it is accessed from the trainers view of the reports.

The student gets the choice of either Normal or Preview mode with the default being Normal.  Weird!

Chris Sutton

In reply to Chris Sutton

by Fernando Suárez Jiménez -
Hi Dan,

I'm having the same problem with SCORM. I'm setting just 1 attempt and not preview mode, but students can choose between 'Preview' and 'Normal' mode and, even if they choose 'Normal' mode', they can try any number of attempts they want.

It's an strange behavior, do you know what can I do? I have not problems in trying to find the problem in the code but I'm not sure if it's just my problem or if it has been solved in 2.0.

Thanks a lot.