How can I do this?

Kind regards,
Roel
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Robert Laboer

Re: Multiple Organizations in one Moodle-installation

by Rod Spears -
Robert,

I have put together a tutorial on this topic. Please let me know if this meets your needs.

Click here to view the presentation.

It may take a while to load.
In reply to Rod Spears

by Robert Laboer -
Hi Rod,

thanks a lot. I have one question: how can I automatically enroll certain students to a new course? This since this technique works fine if the students are already enrolled to a course.

Kind regards,
Robert
In reply to Robert Laboer

by Rod Spears -
Robert,

Please explain what you mean by "automatic enrollment."
In reply to Rod Spears

by Rod Spears -
In reply to Rod Spears

by Santi Calvo -

Hi Rod,

I just saw your presentation. And I think that I can get what I just exposed in this thread.

I will try and I hope I can get it. Thank you very much for your presentation, it's been really helpful.

In reply to Santi Calvo

by Rod Spears -

Yes, I just read that thread and it looks like this solution should work for you. I am glad you were able to benefit from the presentation.

In reply to Santi Calvo

by Meredith Cushman -

I also found your presentation very helpful.   Question:  assuming two companies are on the same Moodle server, is there a way to do the following? 

allow Company A users to create their own login credentials and permit them to self-register in Company A courses

Company B users should not be able to create their own ID/login credentials and should not be able to self-enroll.    

Have Company A users see a different login page than Company B users?

Appreciate the presentation, which is a good start on questions important to our organization.  

In reply to Meredith Cushman

by Rod Spears -

Sorry Meredith, but I just noticed your questions. I have not checked this discussion in a while.

Self-enrollment in courses is determined at the course level so the answer to your questions about having a different self-enrollment policy for each company would be possible.

However, if you allow people to create their own accounts that is an "all or nothing" situation. Since Moodle has no way of knowing any information about the person creating an account, until after they submit the form, the program would not be able to apply different policies to people creating their own accounts.

The same thing applies to showing a different login page. Moodle does not know anything about the user until AFTER they login.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Meredith Cushman -

Thanks for your reply. I am new and need to gather information for making recommendations on configuration options for my organization.

Selecting the self-enrollment option at course level should solve one issue. 

For user account creation, if we set up a webpage from which users can create their own accounts, yes, we'd want the accounts created from that page to have different policies than user accounts that were made by batch upload, AD, or LDAP, etc. The users who create their own accounts must see different options on their homepage after logging in, too.   If these things are doable, using one server may meet the needs of the populations we expect to support.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Judy Steidl -

Thank you for such a clear informative presentation.  Will there be separate blogs and messaging and glossaries per category (business)?  In other words, selections for "site-wide" features are contained within each separate category when My Moodle is used?

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Rod Spears -

You're welcome Judy. I am glad you liked it.

A glossary is contained within a course but unfortunately, there is no way to make those activities specific to a category. However, there are some things you can do to limit access.

Blogs - In 1.9.10 the system admin can select one of these two options to restrict blog entries to people you share a course with or with people in your group.
- Admin menu > Security > Site policies

Messaging - If you restrict access to the Participants link, it would be difficult for users to message people outside of their course, but some users may be able to work around it. I would test it completely if that is important or just turn off the messaging system

In reply to Rod Spears

by Fulvia Lami -

I Rod,

finally after months of research I find your post with presentation which is really very useful. Just a question, how each organization I host in my moodle site (in the way you show in the presentation) can enroll students?

Sorry I'm thinking about how to do it but I don't find a solution.

Thanks for you support.

In reply to Fulvia Lami

by Rod Spears -

Sorry Fulvia, but I just noticed your message in this forum.

When using the default Moodle roles, a person with the role of teacher or above may enroll students directly into each course.

Course Admin menu > Assign roles

Administrators may also enroll students into a course by uploading a file with their enrollment information.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Fulvia Lami -

Hi Rod,

I'm still working around at the project using your suggestion. Now I need 1 more step to do and I think you can be very helpful.

Once MyMoodle is done as you suggest, each organization need to enrol student manually or using a cvs (as far as I understand). As I'm promoting courses for the companies I hosted in my moodle I would like to make somenthing like that:

A website visitor surf our web, he is interested in a certain course, he see the list of companies which offer that course, choose the one he like and registered. The companies receive a message informing about the registration (all this is out of moodle, different site different database).

The student is now enrolled in Mymoodle and can see all the courses offered by the company he choosed. It should be a way to that but I can't find any discussion on that.

Hoping you can help me....blush

In reply to Fulvia Lami

by Fulvia Lami -

Help!!

I did all what is shown here but every hosted companies can see everybody authenticated user on the site included all other companies. What I mean is that  every company at the moment that want to assign role to a student from the course see the list of all the users of the site.

Nobody of you talk about that, may be there is a very simple thing to do but I don't find how...

In reply to Fulvia Lami

by Rod Spears -

Hello Fulvia,

Sorry, but you are not going to be able to avoid that because user management can only be assigned at the system level. That means that anyone who is capable of assigning these users to the course will always see the names of all the users in the system.

That means you will not be able to delegate the task of enrollment to your customers, someone will have to manage that from the system level.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Fulvia Lami -

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your prompt answer. This lead that a point where each company doesn't have their privacy protected and of course I can't manage users for everybody, this would drive me to be completely crazy......and a lot of time wasted.

I think I find a different solution I'm testing right now.

Having the possibility to have all the registration process and the choice of the company from outside moodle. Inside Moodle I can create separate group.

For example: Only 1 course, many Instructors (companies) each one teacher on his own group (course setting for separate groups). Student register itself from outside moodle, contact the instructor then receive the enrollment key to the group via email.

What I need to understand now is if there is a possibility to have different level of groups for different curses each instructor could teach(1 top level group and many sub-group?).

If you have any other suggest in how to reach the goal you are very welcome.

The situation is: I own a certification company for leisure course; many Instructor are registred with my company but they work individually each one as a single company, I want to offer them the possibility to have elearning system. They have a teaching system and standards to follow so they are like non editing teacher but they also need to have their own privacy.

I can't follow 1 moodle installation for each one, I'm trying to find an "easier to maintain" solution.

Thanks and kind regards

In reply to Fulvia Lami

by Rod Spears -

Yes, you could force the separate group mode for the course, but things will get very complicated.

Groupings - This feature will allow you to restrict access to an activity based on group membership.

Select here to learn more about groupings.

Group teacher - You will also need to customize the Non-editing teacher role to allow the instructors to only see/interact with their own students. Then you have to assign them to that role at the course level and assign them to their own group.

See this link for information about setting up this role.

You may also want to consider using Moodle 2.1 because it has a new feature called cohorts, which are site wide groups that would help you handle the group enrollments better than Moodle 1.9.

More info about using cohorts in 2.1

The current plan is for you to be able to upload a cohort using a csv file.

I currently work for a Moodle Partner and we have developed an enterprise version of Moodle 1.9 that we call ELIS. It would be your best option. We have a hosted version that we support and we also offer an unsupported community version.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Fulvia Lami -

Hi Rod,

thank you for your reply.

I try to explain you what I did exactly till now at it seems to work (even if I have to test it better..).

Let's say I have inside moodle course A, course B and course C. Than I have Instructor 1, Intructor 2 and Instructor 3.

I did Group_instructor1_courseA, Group_instructor2_courseA, Group_instructor3_courseA and the same for all other courses.

Inside each group I assing to the respective Instructor the role of non editing teacher and I assing an enrollement key to the group to be used by student to enter the group. Students of the same group no problem if they see each other (it's good so they can socialize).

The only complication I find out till now is that is a long work to create all the group at the beginning but once it's done it should work smoothly. After the first job is done as we normally certified around 50 new instructors a year it shouldn't be a big headache, or I'm missing somenthing?

Anyway I'll go to study all the useful link you posted here.

Thank for you support.

Bye

In reply to Fulvia Lami

by Rod Spears -

Based on the info you provided here, it sounds like you would need to develop a registration system outside of Moodle to handle their initial registration after they select the company.

IF the company has their courses stored in the same course category or sub-category they can be enrolled as a student at the category level. However, that must be done manually. It cannot be done using a csv file. If they are assigned the role of student at the category or sub-category level they will automatically be enrolled as a student in all of those courses.

Of course, this is based on the limited details provided here. We would need ALL details to be able to determine how this would work for you.

In reply to Rod Spears

by Fulvia Lami -

Soory, I'm a dummy.....see the above message....blush

In reply to Rod Spears

by Rosario Carcò -

Thanks for the presentation. You did what I did to host about 10 different universities composing our big regional Universtity of Applied sciences.

Besides category themes you can go one step further and declare also ADMINISTRATORS for every category or subcategory.

Unfortunately segmentation stops there because quite a number of things are at the top Moodle-Admin level like creating/deleting user accounts and the like. Fortunately accounting is centralised on our Active Directory so that I integrated it first by LDAP and later by shibboleth. So no Category-Admin has ever to deal with accounts. For external people I use to import the users by csv-files or creating them on the fly through the add new user GUI.

Other paths to go are:

- use mnet (different servers using the same user accounts)

- multiple moodle instances on the same server

When you use multiple instances on the same server, there are also tricks to use one and the same code basis, so that you have to upgrade only one code instance. Some official Moodle Partners know these tricks especially on linux boxes where you can work with soft-links.

Rosario

In reply to Rod Spears

by Ajeet Kumar -

Thanks for your presentation. I have the same requrement. According to this presentation, it is ok to create and enrolled users in cources of different organisation and particular user will not see cources of other organisation. But what about a manager role. When i give different user as a manager role for different organisation and want manager of particular organisation manage only their orgnisation.How it will be possible??

Thanks

In reply to Rod Spears

by Prajakta K -

Thanks a lot for presentation !

Which moodle version is used in the presentation?

I do not see My Moodle menu under Site Administration -> Appearance

In reply to Prajakta K

by Rod Spears -

The original presentation was based on Moodle 1.9.x.

You can accomplish this using Moodle 2.7, but you would not be able to follow this demo.

In Moodle 2.x the My Moodle page was replaced by the My Home Page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)